Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Garage conversion

(4 Posts)
Fireinthegrate Thu 09-Mar-17 21:21:48

We have a double garage attached to out house. You can access it from the house through a door from the utility room.
We would like to convert half of the garage into a room. We actually want it to be a dog room, somewhere I can have a shallow tray with a shower tap to wash them, and then they can dry off in there before coming into the house.
Anyway, approx how much will a conversion cost?
Do I need planning permission or building regs permission?

cavershamtights Thu 09-Mar-17 21:35:54

According to the internet it's between £850 - £1150 per square metre depending on finish, +VAT and any design fees. Plumbing would be extra I think.

You'd likely not need planning unless you're in a conservation area but you'd defo need building regs sign off as you're changing use.

heffalumpshavewrinkles Fri 10-Mar-17 19:38:10

I would say 15-20 k depending on spec and size, but plumbing, windows and external doors will probably mean it is closer to 20. I have to ask (as a non dog owner so excuse my ignorance!) why you can't clean and dry the dog in the garage?! It would be a lot cheaper!!

Fireinthegrate Fri 10-Mar-17 20:21:49

The garage is full of 'stuff' so could really leave a wet dog in there to dry out, its cold too so probably would catch a chill.
At the moment I cold hose outside, give a good rub with a towel and let them (2 dogs) into the kitchen and they can't access the rest of the house til they're dry.
But OH wants to get another dog, and I have said I don't want 3 wet dogs messing up the house so I want some kind of 'dog drying area'. It's his idea to do a garage conversion for them, i was thinking of partitioung off a bit of the garage, putting a bit of carpet down and some dog beds and maybe a heat lamp. His idea is £'s more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now