Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to lose my rag over a bonfire!

(15 Posts)
janex1 Thu 09-Mar-17 13:52:26

I work from home. It is a lovely day so nipped out to hang some washing out. Perfect! Lo and behold someone lights a huge stinky bonfire in the middle of the day which has engulfed the washing line. I am ashamed to say I lost it a bit and did a bit of unseemly yelling. Am I being unreasonable?

LeBoob Thu 09-Mar-17 14:02:34

YANBU a neighbour does this often when the weather is nice, really frustrating when you just want to get a few loads dry!

Timeforabiscuit Thu 09-Mar-17 14:05:52

Yanbu!,

First bit of dry weather here in what feels like months and they fill the air with smoke!

Im frustrated enough with the people who retro fit a woodburner, yes lovely for you, not so much for me with my victorian air bricks drawing the fecking smoke in.

mrsmortis Thu 09-Mar-17 14:09:29

If they can see your washing from their garden then they are definitely BU. You don't light a fire when you know someone nearby has washing on the line.

ThoraGruntwhistle Thu 09-Mar-17 14:12:15

Man, that fucks me off big time. Utterly thoughtless. After weeks of winter and rain, you get a lovely sunny drying day and some thoughtless twat decides to fill the air with acrid smoke and floaty bits. angryangryangry

Twistmeandturnme Thu 09-Mar-17 14:13:13

YABU I'm afraid.
YANBU to be annoyed. But screaming like a Harpie across the gardens is a bit OTT.
To be honest I don't mind the smell of a bonfire, and it's on a weekday when less people ar elikely to be inconvenienced.
My bugbear is the summer when the evil amateur barbecuers are about with the stench of lighter fuel and cheap burgers. I always love it when my shirts smell of that!

janex1 Thu 09-Mar-17 14:27:50

You are right Twistmeandturnme the yelling was definitely over the top- neighbour appeared at the top of a ladder over the fence saying "it wasn't me!" SO embarrasing. Still reg rag to a bull - glad not just me :-) thanks

MissDuke Thu 09-Mar-17 15:37:35

I have never seen or heard of anyone lighting a fire in their garden - I don't think it is a 'thing' where I live. What is the purpose? Definitely would annoy me too!

PatMullins Thu 09-Mar-17 15:38:56

YANBU
I fucking hate it when people do this, really fucking inconsiderate.

Fuckers.

ynkee0107 Sat 11-Mar-17 14:42:21

I got so annoyed at my neighbors burning whatever in their garden that I called the fire department a couple times in a row. Quickly stopped.

Whisky2014 Sat 11-Mar-17 14:47:09

The village i live in everyone has Woodburning stoves so the air always has that smoky smell to it.
And it was a sunny day 2 Saturdays ago and we immediately lit the fire pit and had a bbq. Your washing doesn't trump someone else's life. Yabu and a bit precious over washing ..

WhatWouldDarylDixonDo Sat 11-Mar-17 14:56:55

People are entitled to have "controlled burns" on their property.

If fumes are a concern then you need to contact your local environmental health dept.

Calling the fire service is a waste of resources. Someone could be delayed being cut out their car/rescued from their house, just because something is annoying you.

wishcarry Sat 11-Mar-17 15:05:26

YANBU.
I have two sets of neighbours who just love lighting bonfires in their gardens when it's a lovely warm day and everybody has their Windows open and washing on the line.
just go to the tip to get rid of your rubbish ffs

ynkee0107 Sat 11-Mar-17 15:09:54

When people are burning rubbish it's a health violation and they deserve to have the police/fire called on them.

FannyWisdom Sat 11-Mar-17 15:16:31

I don't get the angst over this.

People have to live with the occasional bad whiff.

A small fire is the standard way to get rid of garden waste. Tis better than bagging it up to drive it to the tip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now