Talk

Advanced search

Fake chimney breast, kitchen

(18 Posts)
spydie Thu 09-Mar-17 13:38:34

As our extension looms ever closer I am trying to finalise what we are going for in the new kitchen. We really want to achieve the look of the range sitting in a fireplace, and attached is a picture of the inglenook in our lounge (excuse giant baby gate!!).

Unfortunately we won't have the space to go for a ready made fireplace effect, e.g. DIY kitchens. But I have been looking at having our own custom built by the builders, and possibly incorporating an oak beam to mimic what we have in the lounge. I have found an image online that is essentially what I want to do and looks to be similar dimensions, only I'd like to hide the extraction system under it too. Design I have very roughly drawn up attached.

Is this even possible!? Or is this the kinda of thing building control will get upset over from a fire safety point of view!?

spydie Thu 09-Mar-17 13:39:39

Ugh.... kind of thing, not kinda hmm

NotMeNoNo Thu 09-Mar-17 13:53:57

Isn't that sort of arrangement must be very awkward if you are actually cooking on the hob? It's one thing to be working around an existing chimney breast but I wouldn't build one in specially.

JoJoSM2 Thu 09-Mar-17 14:15:12

I does look awkward to me too - not enough space for pots with long handles and you'd need to go around the chimney breast to put stuff away. Also, it'd look a bit contrived, wouldn't it? If you definitely love the idea and fire safety we're at risk of upsetting, you could try an induction hob, perhaps.

spydie Thu 09-Mar-17 14:27:28

We'd definitely need to work out measurements etc to give enough space, but I wouldn't plan on it coming out too far forwards. We will mostly have base line cabinets anyway so wouldn't really need to go around it.

Yes I guess it would look a little, but keen to try and keep an old feel within the new extension since the rest of the house is a few hundred years old. We 100% do not like the idea of modern extraction in the same room where we will have a bare sandstone wall... So we are clutching at straws a bit!

Tubbyinthehottub Thu 09-Mar-17 14:42:33

Yes I think I've got what you describe. Cupboards and mantle built around the cooker and the extractor underneath as if it's a real chimney? I don't think it's unusual for kitchen companies to do this.

spydie Thu 09-Mar-17 15:17:07

Yes tubbyinthehottub that's it! Unfortunately the pre made one's all seem a bit too big for the space we will have hence wondering if we can do something bespoke.

Tubbyinthehottub Thu 09-Mar-17 15:29:33

My kitchen fitter built it like in your second photo. Building regs don't mind as long as you've got an extractor (mine was done in a new extension).

maybeIwillmaybeIwont Thu 09-Mar-17 15:40:27

I have a fake chimney breast in my kitchen and it has the extract fan in it so it is hidden. I have no problems with pans and have only had the induction hob range for a couple of years, before that it was a gas range, still no problems.

DancingLedge Thu 09-Mar-17 15:46:11

I once had similar. An existing chimney was extended forward, so there were walls each side of an Aga, and a ' new' old beam put above.

Think about wiring for a light, so that the Aga/range is lit from within the 'chimney'.

Some folk with Rayburns made a tiled area level with the cooking surface, so that a pot could be slid sideways onto it.
(although then of course the Rayburn was not central in the opening) There's maybe more room on the top of an Aga,so the walls being at each side didn't bother me. Never had a range cooker.

If you don't tile the walls adjacent to the cooker, you'll need to keep enough of the kitchen paint to repaint these walls quite frequently. Only takes 1/2 hr.r

spydie Thu 09-Mar-17 17:18:33

Thanks all! And maybel love your kitchen!!

wowfudge Thu 09-Mar-17 18:22:30

Have you asked DIY Kitchens about the ones they do? Providing the standard size doors will fit, they can make pretty much anything bespoke for you. Or your fitter could use top boxes and wall units with cornice to create the effect. You just need sufficient clearance between hob and extractor above for regs.

wowfudge Thu 09-Mar-17 18:22:40

Have you asked DIY Kitchens about the ones they do? Providing the standard size doors will fit, they can make pretty much anything bespoke for you. Or your fitter could use top boxes and wall units with cornice to create the effect. You just need sufficient clearance between hob and extractor above for regs.

spydie Thu 09-Mar-17 18:30:33

wowfudge we trekked up from Kent a few weeks back.... We were told they couldn't do one bespoke. I'd read on here that others had had bespoke items created, so was a little surprised tbh.

wowfudge Thu 09-Mar-17 18:35:38

They can tailor what they do rather than do something truly bespoke. But it has to still take the doors and they don't make the doors themselves. Like I said, you may be able to get the same effect by putting together units to fit your space.

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 09-Mar-17 19:14:27

What kind of cooker are you going for ? If gas top you will need 15cm space to left and right of cooker before you put your faux chimney in . And you will need 76cm clear space between hob top and cooker hood ... if an induction then can be closer to chimney walls ( but it's useful to have space for pan handles !) and the extractor can be lower down - but if there's a chance you might change to gas at a later date - stick to the positioning suitable for gas !
Hope that helps !

spydie Thu 09-Mar-17 20:46:44

Wowfudge we just wanted it to be slightly narrower through the middle section, as we are going for a 900m range, but they said no can do.

Amazing advice one planonhouzz, really useful, thanks! Yes going for gas, I'd estimated 10cm either side but good to know it should be a bit more. flowers

Ramona75 Fri 10-Mar-17 10:17:32

I would love a range cooker and a chimney breast effect [sigh] one day...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now