Talk

Advanced search

Pay extra for UPVC Sash windows in loft conversion?

(6 Posts)
mollyminniemo Thu 09-Mar-17 11:35:17

Hi all, due to have our loft converted soon, the extra list includes £400 per window (there would be 3) extra to go from standard UPVC to sash windows. I really want a classic/as country look as possible, hate the very obvious, stark, modern loft conversion feel if you get me! Do you think its worth paying for this? Any other tips from loft conversions gratefully received, thanks.

SunnySomer Thu 09-Mar-17 11:39:48

Personally I would want the windows to match the rest of the house - if that is sash windows, then I'd pay for them. Though if the rest of the house has upvc, it would be a bit odd to put sashes in the roof.

mollyminniemo Thu 09-Mar-17 11:43:25

Thnaks Sonny, sorry they would still be UPVC Sash? The rest of the windows in house are UPVC with little squares- sorry for appalling lack of real name term, think we could get sash design where the upper window also has the squares? So could look similar from outside? Or not worth it?

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Thu 09-Mar-17 11:44:42

I'd definitely go for tilt and turn windows for easy cleaning and ventilation
www.doubleglazingontheweb.co.uk/upvc-windows/tilt-and-turn-windows/

HiDBandSIL Thu 09-Mar-17 16:34:19

I think I would either want to match or go very modern. Are you planning to replace your other windows? It sounds as though they are casement rather than sash. I'm also currently undertaking a loft conversion. We have sash window a through the rest of the house but are going modern in the loft with a big angled window in one room and French doors in the other, Velux windows at the front and one above the stairs.

HiDBandSIL Thu 09-Mar-17 16:36:10

What is the age/style of the house too? That would also be a factor. It's quite difficult to say without seeing photos. £400 extra per window is a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now