Talk

Advanced search

Noise in an old property

(10 Posts)
harrykane Wed 08-Mar-17 21:46:56

We are in the process of moving from a small new build but detached to a big old sandstone semi. Im just having a bit of a panic regards noise as i have kids and none of us are the quietest, can anyone advise or reassure shock

JoJoSM2 Wed 08-Mar-17 23:07:45

Well, difficult to reassure really. Having lived in different types of properties, the only quiet ones were a new build flat and the current detached house. II do often notice the noise coming through when visiting friends in semis or terraces.

BackforGood Wed 08-Mar-17 23:19:23

If your living space shares a wall with someone else's living space, then you are going to hear each other really. How annoying that is will depend on all sorts of factors, including how considerate neighbours are, what hours you keep, how sensitive your hearing is, (or other wise), etc.,etc.,etc.

Imissmy0ldusername Wed 08-Mar-17 23:29:54

It will also depend on the type of material which is between you & your neighbours. I've no experience of noise between sandstone walls.

Indaba Wed 08-Mar-17 23:40:52

How old is the house? We have lived in victorian and georgian semis and terraces: absolutely no noise issues at all. Old houses built better than new ones. I have VERY noisy kids! I went to apologise a month after we had moved in to both neighbours and they didn't know the elderly couple who had preceded us had moved out!

harrykane Wed 08-Mar-17 23:44:55

It is very old, a Victorian semi, that's reassuring Indaba,were just a generally noisy bunch, not music or anything but all shouters and boisterous 😀

spydie Thu 09-Mar-17 11:41:18

We live in a semi detached sandstone cottage, 200 years old, walls over a foot thick.

We never hear our neighbours. They never hear us. In fact we are always told what a marvellous job we must do with the toddler, ad no one ever hears her....! And screeching at full volume is her new favourite activity hmm

witwootoodleoo Thu 09-Mar-17 11:44:38

My late Georgian/early Victorian house is actually annoyingly soundproof. As in your can't shout down from upstairs to downstairs because the sound just doesn't carry. It's made me realise how much of a habit of calling between rooms we had now we have to walk between them!

Lilmisskittykat Thu 09-Mar-17 16:05:23

I have a 1900 terrace so solid walls My neighbours are lovely and quiet until their grand kids come... up and down the stairs banging shouting fighting.. always glad it's only for an hour. But I can't hear day to day like tv etc which I have noticed in new build semis

I'm dreading them moving and getting a family next door!

harrykane Thu 09-Mar-17 21:26:47

Thanks guys, hopefully be worth it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now