We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

moving a bedroom wall?

(33 Posts)
WigglyWooWorm Wed 08-Mar-17 19:35:19

We might have the chance to buy a family property but it has 2 large double bedrooms and a properly tiny small one. The small one is roughly the size of a single bed in either direction.

I was wondering if it would be crazy to move a wall somewhere to make the small one bigger.

Alternatively the 2 girls could share a room and use the third as an office but it seems a shame to have them.share when they don't currently.

Is it a mad idea? Very expensive?

WigglyWooWorm Wed 08-Mar-17 19:36:06

Or we could convert the attic potentially to make another bedroom but how expensive would that be?!

namechangedtoday15 Wed 08-Mar-17 19:44:45

Is it a 1930s semi? That's the kind of layout for those houses. The problem is usually that the bedroom next to the small one has a very big window so if you're limited to have much space you can pinch from the bigger room before you have to start thinking about altering the windows. Doesn't usually make sense. You'd have to look in the loft to see what's above the wall before you know how much its likely to cost.

As for a loft conversion, you need to know how much head height you have before you know whether its worthwhile. Off the top of my head you need at least 210cm between floor and highest point.

Needmoresleep Wed 08-Mar-17 19:45:59

Depends what the wall is made of and whether it is structural. I did it recently when renovating a flat with a huge bedroom and tiny one. The

Needmoresleep Wed 08-Mar-17 19:47:29

Sorry. On phone...

The wall was made of breeze block and non structural, so an hour or so to knock down and a day to rebuild and another to plaster.

RandomMess Wed 08-Mar-17 19:53:07

Yep unless it's structural very very cheap and far cheaper than a loft conversion even if you put in a new smaller window in the double next door!

WigglyWooWorm Wed 08-Mar-17 21:12:57

I think it's 1930s semi. Top of stairs to separate loo and bathroom, then 2 large rooms then tiny room.

There's a possibility we could rent ours out and rent their house.... Which keeps both properties for the future. Better life for us but at some cost. Also not as free to do things to the house....

I think the loft conversion would be beyond our means. I've just Googled roughly and getting 30-50 thousand. If we had the money it would be ace, small room could be a home office, but we don't have access to that kind of money.

So walls. A few thousand? More? I'm trying to picture the window, I think it could well have a long window in the double room.

WigglyWooWorm Wed 08-Mar-17 21:15:26

Loft conversion is possible as other houses in the road have done it but they're quite high spec.

Problems would be the separate bathroom to toilet, and downstairs loo is tiny - no sink and I'm not sure if there is room.

It's in a location we like, better school. May not be the first choice house but it may be a chance at a much nicer house/area/schoool we couldn't otherwise afford.

WigglyWooWorm Wed 08-Mar-17 21:17:24

Oh Googled. It's 1930s detached I think.

Ours is boxy small ex ha 1980s end terrace estate...

RandomMess Wed 08-Mar-17 21:17:51

You can remove the original window and put in a narrower one as well as moving the wall. Really shouldn't be hugely expensive tbh.

WigglyWooWorm Wed 08-Mar-17 21:20:21

What's not hugely expensive? Under 10 grand, 5 grand? Obviously we'd get quotes but I really haven't a clue.

WigglyWooWorm Wed 08-Mar-17 21:21:18

They're both the windows at the front of the property. It's possible the large bedroom windows match the Living room ones underneath.

RandomMess Wed 08-Mar-17 21:51:28

Less than £5k (providing it's not a supporting wall).

You would put in a smaller window centrally so although it would match the lounge window underneath it should look ok?

Are there any similar properties on right move so we can have a look?

WigglyWooWorm Wed 08-Mar-17 22:41:46

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54596137.html

I can't find one the same. This kind of front though. Ish. With a loo to the left of the front door.

JoJoSM2 Wed 08-Mar-17 22:49:31

Definitely should cost under 5. It'll be a case a knocking it down, rebuilding + replastering (2-3 days worth of work). You'll need to sort out the flooring, e.g. A new carpet for the smaller bedroom - a few hundred pounds. And then repaint/ wallpaper. Complications could the wall being structural (although nothing for it to support, is there?) or plumbing and electrics in the wall in question - if you needed to get a plumber or electrician out. However, I'd still expect to come in under 5k...

WigglyWooWorm Thu 09-Mar-17 08:33:17

Thankyou.

heffalumpshavewrinkles Thu 09-Mar-17 09:48:10

If yours has a loo to the left of the front door it should be pretty straight forward to move the bathroom and toilet into the box room, and create a larger third bedroom at the back. Again less than 5 k. Would this give you a bigger 3rd bedroom?

JoJoSM2 Thu 09-Mar-17 11:28:41

Sounds like a good idea but I'd expect to fork out 10k+ for a whole new bathroom and bedroom.

heffalumpshavewrinkles Thu 09-Mar-17 15:03:45

I don't agree jojosm2. We converted a bedroom to an ensure a couple of years ago and all in was about 2.5 k. We bought an end of line bathroom suite and cheap white metro tiles (and tiled ourselves) though. Also you would be improving rather than devaluing the house by keeping the 2 good sized doubles and making the third bedroom bigger. Just my thoughts though, obviously if you are going to be in the house long term you should have whatever layout suits you and your budget best smile

Astro55 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:10:35

Can you extend over the garage?

We were quoted £1500 - made a big difference - the extra length of the second bedroom became storage for the third - almost a built in wardrobe - so even more space

yomellamoHelly Thu 09-Mar-17 16:07:16

Second heffalump's idea and think that would be the cheapest option. Is something we ought to do here, but back of house north facing so box room a much nicer room (though smaller).

RandomMess Thu 09-Mar-17 19:08:56

Bedroom to bathroom conversion idea def worth considering!!!

How big is the front double?

storynanny Thu 09-Mar-17 19:20:34

If it is a single bed size both ways, you could put a high sleeper in there. One of my three boys always had the smallest room and quite liked the cosines of it. Less space to get messy as well!

Kiroro Thu 09-Mar-17 21:24:48

Unless you are able to do the work yourself, there is no way you can get a new bathroom, and make good the old bathrrom into a bedrooom for 2.5k.

It is muc hcheaper to add in an en suite heffalump than it is to rip out a suite, rip the tiles off the walls, plaster walls and cealing, have electrics put in and a radiator, new flooring. AND then do a whole new bathroom in the old box room.

Much cheaper to just move a non load bearing wall.

heffalumpshavewrinkles Fri 10-Mar-17 07:13:50

Kiroro I said I would expect up to to 5k not 2.5 (that was the cost of doing ensure only). But if you move a wall you still have to plaster, replace floor, replace window so I really don't think it would be much cheaper and the second bedroom and front of house would both be adversely affected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now