Talk

Advanced search

Worktop thickness?

(17 Posts)
Cherryblossom200 Wed 08-Mar-17 13:29:57

Hi everyone,

I'm really undecided about what worktop thickness to get. Strange question I know! I'm going for a kind of white/oak Scandinavian contemporary look and have a choice of either 27mm or 40mm. The sales team at the company I'm buying the worktop from said that the majority of their customers go for the 40mm, but my concern is this would give a more traditional farmhouse look?

I'm getting a few samples so will take a look myself (I don't move into the property until the 7th April) so I wanted to do a bit of research first before committing.

Any advice?

Thanks

x

JoJoSM2 Wed 08-Mar-17 13:34:12

Thin worktops look more modern/contemporary although oak is quite an old-school material... Is the thin one equally sturdy and practical? What units are you going for?

Cherryblossom200 Wed 08-Mar-17 13:39:55

Thanks JoJo. The kitchen is staying, I don't have the funds at the mo to change it for a couple of years. So I'm doing my best to re-vamp it! The units are plain white - they have slight detailing on it (like a smaller square inside if that makes sense, so not flat doors) The floors are going to be engineered oak which I really like, but I worry like you mentioned, that the oak worktop will make it look farmhousey unless I go for a thinner worktop.

wowfudge Wed 08-Mar-17 14:16:12

27mm is not flimsy - we've had samples from Worktop Express and I thought initially they'd sent 40mm so measured it. We had Corian in ours and that was around 25mm thick and looked pretty substantial.

JoJoSM2 Wed 08-Mar-17 14:24:35

Sounds like a shaker style kitchen. I think 40mm would work better.

Cherryblossom200 Wed 08-Mar-17 14:27:28

The worktop is from worktop express!

Yes it's a shaker style kitchen - not really what I would choose TBH. But I'm stuck with it. So do you think the 27mm would look too thin for that style? I just wanted to try and make it look a bit more contemporary..

JoJoSM2 Wed 08-Mar-17 14:29:26

Ps the Scandi look with also depend on tiles, knobs etc

Cherryblossom200 Wed 08-Mar-17 14:29:32

Wowfudge - what did you think of your worktop from Worktop Express? They seem really well priced compared to other companies.

wowfudge Wed 08-Mar-17 14:34:02

We haven't ordered yet, but kitchen fitters seem to rate them. They are cheap and can deliver quickly. We are having an inframe Shaker style kitchen - the 27mm thick oak worktops will go with the composite we are having on a large island.

Cherryblossom200 Wed 08-Mar-17 14:35:17

Ah JoJo - it's like you're reading my mind!! That's very much the look I'm going for. I'm going for metro tiles, though I can't decide if I should go for white or light grey. I love the Scandi look but don't want it to be too clinical. Trying to get this kitchen looking more contemporary is going to be fun...!confused

Cherryblossom200 Wed 08-Mar-17 14:36:34

Wowfudge sounds gorgeous! I think I'm going for the prime oak as it's slightly less rustic.

JoJoSM2 Wed 08-Mar-17 14:49:51

If you're not a fan of the shaker style, you might be able to change the doors on the kitchen. It'sd be relatively inexpensive as you'd keep the carcasses.

namechangedtoday15 Wed 08-Mar-17 15:05:27

I've got 20mm worktops in my kitchen (choice was 20mm or 30mm for quartz) and I think it looks contemporary and sleek which fits in with what I was trying to achieve. I've got 30mm quartz vanity tops in the bathroom and ensuite and they look quite chunky - probably because I'm used to the 20mm in the kitchen - but still modern because they're pale grey.

I think 40mm can look really striking in a granite / quartz and give a real feeling of luxury even in a very modern kitchen but I think 40mm in oak would look more traditional.

dynevoran Wed 08-Mar-17 15:06:25

27mm isn't very thin. 30mm is standard and thinner like 20mm or thicker like 80mm are more modern. But it depends on the material. As it's in a material which is just as durable regardless of thickness, plus there is very little difference between the two then I'd say get whichever is cheaper!

Cherryblossom200 Wed 08-Mar-17 15:10:27

That's my thoughts exactly, there doesn't seem to be much difference between either so I think just get the cheaper one. I think 40mm is too chunky and will give a more traditional look which I don't want.

You have all been very helpful. Thank you smile

RedRobin1 Wed 08-Mar-17 15:17:31

I had the same question a few weeks back. We are going for a contemporary German style handleless kitchen and have opted for a 20mm quartz worktop instead of the 30mm as advised by our kitchen designer to give it a more sleek minimalistic look.

I did read another thread that most with Shaker or traditional kitchen go for 30mm or 40mm worktops

Cherryblossom200 Wed 08-Mar-17 15:21:03

RedRobin that's good to know - thank you. I'm almost there with 27mm anyway so hopefully should look ok.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: