Housing Association mutual exchange help(5 Posts)
Not sure if I have posted this in the right forum. I am hoping that someone can help me please as I am getting no where fast.
I am extremely frustrated by my HA, I have had no contact from the tenancy management team who deal with mutual exchanges and it's been 2 weeks now since I sent my forms off. I sent my forms via post ( recorded) I emailed the address given on the form and for my own peace of mind I also emailed my customer services team, who took the liberty to pass the forms over to the tenancy management team. Customer services also confirmed to me via email that the tenancy team have received my forms and will be in contact shortly.
I understand that they have 42 days to come to a decision but it would've still been nice to have had a confirmation text/ email/ letter/ phone call but nothing.
The person I am hoping to swap with has had his inspection already, last week in fact and I have already a week ago had a letter from his end confirming they've received the necessary paperwork, they need references and they mentioned the 42 day timescale.
When I was the incoming tenant of my current property the HA took their sweet time but due to the current tenant and my council I was with at the time nagging them, things got moving a bit quicker, the told the current tenant at the time they can take the full 42 days if they wish to. Why would they want to make things more awkward, surely the idea is to get this done and dusted sooner rather than later - within the 42 day period?
I have put in a complaint and apparently I should've received a text from the tenancy management team ( which I haven't and the proposed incoming tenant already has received a text from my end) and the tenancy management will be in contact in the next couple of days to arrange the inspection ( this was Monday and still nothing)
I am considering contacting my local MP, do you think this would be worth it? as I have never known anything like it. I thought that all parties involved needed to be on the same page, not so far ahead than the other party.
I have even given my side dates that I wish to move by and dates I am available for inspections etc due to having holiday - rather than trying to swap shifts around and cause more problems but still nothing. I had a feeling they would drag their heels because they did it when I was the incoming tenant.
Does anyone have any suggestions? do you think my MP could help? any help greatly appreciated as this is so frustrating.
Anyone got any words of wisdom or advice on this? Is there anything I can do to help move the process along quicker as this really is taking the biscuit.
Hold your horses, there's plenty of time yet. For all you know your HA is doing the behind the scenes stuff first, checking your rent account, gathering your partners references etc. They will contact you for the inspection once they have checked there are no other barriers to the exchange. They have 42 days to give you a decision not for the exchange to take place.
If you make official complaints about everything it won't hurry up the process.
Just read your text again and realised that you have been bombarding the team with emails, phone calls and a complaint. I should imagine the team will now have to spend extra time dealing with these things rather than getting on with the task in hand.
Submit an MP enquiry and you will have lots of other people diverted from doing their jobs to deal with it.
Is that really what you want when you are only 2 weeks into a 7 week process???
Years ago I did a mutual exchange, it really can take 6 weeks so don't keep contacting them, it won't speed things up. They really have no obligation to do anything faster within the 42 day time frame, it sometimes just takes that long for them to do paperwork. I would just chill for a bit. Also some HA/LA s don't do inspections until later the process.
Join the discussion
Please login first.