Talk

Advanced search

Glass splash backs? Yes or no?

(4 Posts)
Wiifitmama Tue 07-Mar-17 22:07:21

We are in the middle of a rebuild. Whole new kitchen. It will be white shiny gloss with black granite work surface. I am trying to decide about the splash backs. We had tiles previously (red). I like the idea of glass as there are no joins like in tiles. And it is shiny! But will it date? Does anyone have it and recommend it? Or hate it? Our floors will be a stone colour tile. There will be one painted wall in the middle of the row of units (it is the chimney breast above the inset hob). And there are other non-unit painted walls too.

dietcokeandwine Tue 07-Mar-17 22:35:23

We have a glass splashback in our new kitchen. Love it. Our kitchen units have a matt surface (grey shaker style) but the darker grey quartz work surfaces are gloss, and the splashback is a very light teal colour which works well. What is really lovely is that it acts as a very subtle mirror (in our case, reflecting the garden beyond the bifolds doors into the kitchen) making the kitchen space look larger, but the gloss of the glass isn't so highly polished that every tiny watermark shows.

Key advice I think when going for a glass splashback is to go for something fairly neutral, that blends with your kitchen style, rather than be tempted by a bright 'statement' colour that you might love now but get fed up of. They are not easy to remove if you decide to change them.

Wiifitmama Wed 08-Mar-17 17:05:57

Thanks. That is really interesting. I would like something neutral. I am assuming glass is much more expensive than just tiles. Do you think it is worth it?

Acornantics Wed 08-Mar-17 17:12:27

We've had a lovely neutral glass splash back behind the hob for years. It's great to clean, looks smart and doesn't age. However, it has cracked and we're having huge problems getting someone in to change/replace it...so just a warning really, they can be a pig to replace if damaged sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now