Talk

Advanced search

Chancel repair insurance

(5 Posts)
theheatherjane1 Tue 07-Mar-17 13:42:05

Hi

Does anyone know where I can buy this online? I'm having some trouble finding a company that sells to individuals.
My solicitors have quoted £40 for the insurance and £100 for them to do it.
There has to be a cheaper way of doing it!

Many thanks

Mymothersdaughter Tue 07-Mar-17 14:06:18

Ours cost £5 with £25 solicitor fee. I think your solicitor is ripping you off! Not sure if you can do it privately. Apparently it has been done but most are set up through a solicitor. I'd see if you can get a cheaper quote from a different solicitor, I assume it can be set up separately?

EssentialHummus Tue 07-Mar-17 14:09:38

My solicitors have quoted £40 for the insurance and £100 for them to do it.

The £40 is fine, the £100 for very, very little work on the sol's part is a rip-off. Ask them to itemise that £100 because you can't see what value they are adding to the process to justify the cost.

fresh Tue 07-Mar-17 14:14:03

Are you sure you need it? IIRC you only need it now if there is a specific covenant in your title deeds which states you are liable. Just being somewhere near a church (which is what used to trigger a recommendation for it) is no longer grounds. Chancel repair insurance was a rip off for many years IMO. Sorry if you've already been through this loop, if so just ignore me!

theheatherjane1 Tue 07-Mar-17 16:56:18

When I bought the property 7 years ago I was told I needed the insurance, so I bought it and then obviously lost all the paperwork leaving me liable again...idiot.
I believe it costs more for the search than for the insurance so it seemed easier just to renew it again.

Thanks for your responses

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now