Talk

Advanced search

laminate worktop reviews

(17 Posts)
treecott Tue 07-Mar-17 13:12:34

Hi all, this is my first posting on here, so please bear with me if I am doing things wrong. I am in the process of getting a new kitchen fitted, and am at the choosing wortop stage. I have read loads of things on here about wooden worktops not being easy to care for, and I dont want/cant afford granite or quartz. I am seriously thinking of going for laminate, as that seems to be the easiest option for keeping clean and also being cost effective. I am looking at wood effect laminate, and have seen some which I quite like - although they are not the real thing - they do look relatively realistic. I am enquiring as to whether anyone has had fitted Wilsonart Colmar Oak worktop, or the other one is Duropal Natural Blocked Oak., and if so, how have they fared in relation to durability etc.

My dh and I are not messy people, and I would love to have wood, but we do put things down on the worktop, like cups of tea, and wet pots if we run out of space on the drainer, and have been warned off wood for those reasons. I just want a nice functioning kitchen, without too much work keeping worktops looking good. Any advice would be much appreciated

indigo13 Tue 07-Mar-17 13:44:58

We had a wood effect laminate worktop once, oak ish colour and it always looked clean even if it wasnt. That was handy compared to the nightmare that was black granite. Now we have a black speckly laminate one which is nice too.

RozzlePops Tue 07-Mar-17 13:46:29

My advice would be not to go for a gloss finish. I do property inventories, and much like white UPVC window sills I have never seen a gloss laminate worktop that isn't scratched throughout.

Liz79 Tue 07-Mar-17 13:47:41

I'm in the same position. I think I want B&Q marble veneto. It's white & grey marble effect. I'm just worried that it's white!

nbee84 Tue 07-Mar-17 13:47:59

I have axiom 'oak' laminate worktops with a textured finish. Same reason as you, we are not a careful household and put wet things on the sides all the time. I'm really pleased with them and think they look very good.

treecott Tue 07-Mar-17 16:00:11

Hi nbee84, you dont happen to know which Axiom Oak worktop you have do you? I have looked at a couple of them, the Padua Oak, and the Walnut butcher block. If you know could you let me know so I can check them out. Thanks for the reply.

nbee84 Tue 07-Mar-17 16:38:20

Mine is the Swedish oak puregrain.

madeleinecreek Tue 07-Mar-17 17:47:42

We have one that looks like this https://www.rearo.co.uk/kitchen/senses/walnut-butchers-block-worktop-3600mm-x-600mm-x38mm-5835/ (previous owners put it in) - it's fab. Hides crumbs and coffee spills well (but not too well if you know what I mean!)

I don't normally like stuff that's a fake of something else but I do really like it. I think it looks natural from a distance (but not up close)

treecott Wed 08-Mar-17 11:38:17

Thanks for the info on the swedish oak, will look into that one.

treecott Wed 08-Mar-17 11:41:07

Hi Madeleinecreek, have actually sent for samples of this particular worktop, but not got them yet. Its good to know that you like it. Nice to know as well that it looks relatively realistic, look forward to getting the samples. Could I ask you whether or not it is very dark, as some walnut colours are relatively light, whereas some are very dark. Thanks in advance.

namechangedtoday15 Wed 08-Mar-17 11:53:40

I think Duropal is thought to be quality laminate and better than some of the offerings at the big DIY sheds.

We had the Duropal Wenge block (so a wood effect but dark brown) in a previous kitchen and it was very good. We had a matching upstand all around and then the same worktop as a wrap around for the kitchen units. Looked very nice.

madeleinecreek Wed 08-Mar-17 11:58:32

Ours has some quite dark bits and some lighter bits. I should add it only looks realistic when you look at the kitchen as a whole, not if you actually look at it closely, if you see what I mean? The laminate end caps definitely make it look fake.

Pics attached. Can't believe how dirty my kitchen is!

ExplodedCloud Wed 08-Mar-17 12:05:03

We've had Duropal twice by choice. Absolutely happy with it. DH did manage to dent one bit 2 days after fitting by dropping something heavy on its corner though

treecott Wed 08-Mar-17 12:37:41

looks like the colour I am looking for, thank you so much for the pics, it looks very nice.

N8jam Wed 08-Mar-17 15:00:47

treecott. be unwarned re solid wood worktops. the secret is in the oiling stage. splashes etc are wipe off. laminates look good but the slightest cut or crack and youre in trouble, esp around taps. good luck

BananaPie Wed 08-Mar-17 21:24:01

Duropal is better than axiom I think. It has a little groove on the underside to prevent moisture damage.

I'd go for fake marble rather than fake wood though. It looks less fake!

Shadowboy Wed 08-Mar-17 22:40:52

I actually find solid wood better- if you damage it, simply sand back and re-seal. With laminate once damaged, that's pretty much ut

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now