Talk

Advanced search

Combining 2 property deeds

(7 Posts)
KittyIsHungry Tue 07-Mar-17 07:55:27

Hello
We are living in a maisonnette and are trying to purchase the downstairs flat. We would want to combine both properties and both deeds.
==> How long does it take to combine the deeds approximately?

Thanks

swillows Tue 07-Mar-17 08:00:07

There's no such things as 'deeds' any more - the evidence of ownership is the entry for the property on the Land Registry. You will get a copy of the entry showing who owns the property along with other information like covenants etc. I don't know if you can combine entries - if the properties are separate then I think you will just own the two separate properties unless you are planning to knock through and make one big property? In any event the legal ownership is with you from the date you complete but it takes a few weeks to update the Land Registry.

Spickle Tue 07-Mar-17 13:51:06

Is it a house with an upstairs maisonette and a downstairs maisonette only? Are you intending to buy the freehold? If you are intending to own the whole house and ending the leases on both maisonettes and reverting it to a single freehold dwelling, then you can combine the titles, which can be done in conjunction with your purchase of the downstairs flat. Ask your solicitor to advise. Do you actually already own 50% of the freehold or is there a freeholder?

KittyIsHungry Tue 07-Mar-17 14:31:03

Thanks both. Yes we own a maisonnette and already have 50% of the freehold. We are looking at buying the downstairs flat and combine them into a single dwelling. Combining the deeds is essential for us to get a residential mortgage.

Thank you smile

Needmoresleep Tue 07-Mar-17 16:22:28

You should check with your local authority. You might need planning permission.

In London some local authorities are quite resistant and they lose council tax and it reduces the overall number of dwellings in the borough.

KittyIsHungry Wed 08-Mar-17 21:21:29

Good point, thanks Needmoresleep

nemno Wed 02-Aug-17 20:39:09

How have you got on Kitty? I saved this thread because combining deeds is something I need to do this year but although it is a 5 month old thread I'll post my contribution now I have one. My property lawyer now tells me that due to understaffing the relevant government department has been refusing to do it recently but she has submitted the application anyway more in hope than expectation. Not sure quite where that leaves us as to all intents and purposes (apart from separate utility meters) we are now already living in one house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now