Talk

Advanced search

Does this type of bathroom cabinet survive wet conditions?

(9 Posts)
SwedishEdith Mon 06-Mar-17 21:43:15

I'm looking for something simple to replace a bathroom sink. I see lots of things like this. But, do they stand up to normal wear and tear or will it look tatty quite soon? What, exactly, is engineered board? MDF?

JoJoSM2 Mon 06-Mar-17 23:42:19

If it's designed for bathrooms then it's well suited to them and would be ok around moisture. I would recommend something with drawers though as they are easier to access.

SorrelSoup Mon 06-Mar-17 23:46:38

We've built in cupboards, sink and toilet. The whole things swollen. Not sure if it's so excessive cos we have young dc who have gone crazy at bathtime.

PigletJohn Tue 07-Mar-17 00:28:32

"engineered board" could be anything, really. The doors have a panelled effect so are probably MDF with a vinyl wrap or paint finish. The cabinet is made of flat pieces so they might be chipboard or MDF with a coating.

Chipboard is prone to swelling when damp gets into the joins on the edges. Vinyl wrap is prone to peeling off due to heat, damp, wear or being in a bad mood.

In the picture I can't see any legs or feet. You could add some, otherwise if the cabinet is standing in a puddle or on a damp floor, it will probably soak up water and swell.

I think chipboard is an awful material, and unsuitable for anywhere that contains water.

SwedishEdith Tue 07-Mar-17 20:08:31

Hmm, thanks all. You've confirmed my suspicions.

TremoloGreen Wed 08-Mar-17 20:07:25

I'm not convinced these cabinets are specially designed for bathrooms. Some kitchen companies also make bathroom furniture and the spec is not that different for the two ranges.

CuthbertDibble Wed 08-Mar-17 20:29:05

We bought Miller cabinets, not cheap but still perfect ten years later.

illegitimateMortificadospawn Wed 08-Mar-17 20:32:23

I'm now getting bathroom cabinets in my ad banner thanks to opening the link in this thread. Bloody MN! grin

SwedishEdith Wed 08-Mar-17 22:14:52

Thanks. I should have asked "which bathroom cabinets have stood the test of time?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now