Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have a U not I layout in your kitchen?

(13 Posts)
Willow3131 Mon 06-Mar-17 11:38:23

hi anyone have a U shape kitchen? do you like it and how big is it please? thanks you.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 06-Mar-17 12:03:18

Had a U shape in this house before we extended (came with the house). It was about 14' long by 10' wide. Hated it. Think corners in a kitchen should be banned (i might be slightly subjective here wink after having been forced to live with it for about 5 years), storage is hopeless (because anything that goes in a corner cupboard is unlikely to be seen again and I am yet to see a corner cupboard gizmo - Le Mans or whatever - that actually works long term), it makes the space seem so much smaller and cut off (especially with wall cupboards above).

JT05 Mon 06-Mar-17 12:22:56

We had one in last house. 10x10. Corner pull out things are useless so we had right angled shelving in the corner floor units with both right and led doors opening in the centre so you could open them wide and access everything.

JT05 Mon 06-Mar-17 12:25:08

I pad change words! 'Right angled doors'.
To make matters worse the room had 3 doors, but was forgiven because it had a pantry.

Pitchforktotheface Mon 06-Mar-17 13:26:03

We do. We have angled corner cupboards, so it looks like a 20p iyswim. Works really well. When you open the door you can see the whole cupboard so nothing gets lost and you get extra depth in the work top on top.

NotMeNoNo Mon 06-Mar-17 14:19:37

We have an L of units then a gap and a short freestanding section round the corner, so like a broken U. This was done to get the fridge tucked away into a corner and avoid 2 corner cupboards.

NotMeNoNo Mon 06-Mar-17 14:20:44

The L is about 12ft x 10 ft with sink on the shorter leg.

EineKleine Mon 06-Mar-17 17:05:26

9 x 14' with awkwardly placed doors. U shaped for most of it and built in L shaped banquette seating in the corner for our kitchen table. All sides of the U are up against walls IYSWIM. i can't conceive another way of getting this many cupboards and a table into a kitchen this size, and I love having the table rather than just a breakfast bar, so I love it, corner cupboards 'n' all.

Our wall cupboards are just L shaped.

bigredboat Mon 06-Mar-17 18:48:29

At the moment it looks like this but it will be U shaped, it was U shaped before but knocking the archway out has enable one side of the U to be longer. The corners are a bit awkward but in a limited space sometimes that's all you can do!

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 06-Mar-17 20:10:21

We have an L shape. Totally agree about the corner cupboards, they are a nightmare!

U shaped here, about 11ft by 8, one corner unit is just shelved and a bit of an arse ache but used for storing big stuff like the slow cooker. The other has a proper le mans on it which I absolutely love and find really useful.

Willow3131 Thu 09-Mar-17 11:03:14

Thanks everyone there are some valid points to mull over.

RaisinsAndApple Thu 09-Mar-17 12:30:53

I have a U and if I was to do it again I'd do an L because it's annoying having cupboards behind people sitting at the table - but we don't have a dining room. If the table was not in the U it would be ok. Corner cupboards can be fine if well designed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now