Talk

Advanced search

Ikea furniture

(17 Posts)
Babyg1995 Sun 05-Mar-17 21:53:18

How easy is it to build ? Got the aneboda wardrobe and kullen drawers for kids bedrooms gets delivered Wed starting to panic I won't be able to build itconfused

chipsandpeas Sun 05-Mar-17 22:02:47

i have both and managed on my own

ThomasHardyPerennial Sun 05-Mar-17 22:04:11

As long as you follow the instructions they are very straightforward. You can do it OP!

RedBugMug Sun 05-Mar-17 22:07:39

it's fine.
easier if you have better tools then just the imbus but def doable.

downwardfacingdog Sun 05-Mar-17 22:07:45

Easy. The instructions are excellent. I've only really realised how good they are since building other flat pack things (jungle gym, other furniture brands etc) and seeing the difference. It's like they think about where you could go wrong and highlight things to stop the mistakes before you make them.

Babyg1995 Sun 05-Mar-17 22:28:48

Feeling better already about it I've never built any furniture ever so hopefully will be ok.

PickAChew Sun 05-Mar-17 22:34:16

Very easy indeed.

I used to love spending an afternoon putting the stuff together before my hands became too weak. The fixings are quite clever. The one thing you might need to make sure you have is a wide, flat screwdriver, though a table knife might do the job (a table knife was always our go to tool for re-wiring plugs, when I was a child!)

Buscake Sun 05-Mar-17 22:42:29

You'll be fine, honestly. I'd recommend getting an electric screwdriver just to make life easier. Mines an ikea one that cost £5. I've put together 4 chests of drawers and 4 wardrobes on my own (as well as shelving units, tables etc) and I am shit at diy. Just follow the instructions carefully. You can do it!

JillyTheDependableBoot Sun 05-Mar-17 22:44:46

They're fine. I wouldn't do bigger things (eg a full-height wardrobe) on my own but have done a double bed on my own with no problem. And I am a total klutz!

KarmaNoMore Sun 05-Mar-17 22:49:40

My 10 year old put together his own bed, I just helped him lifting heaven stuff when he needed to. My friend's 12 & 13 year olds put together her bookcases.

You can do it fairly quickly. The only things that I have found more difficult (as in you definitively need a second person to help) is the pax wardrobes, but only because they are huge and it is somewahat difficult to ensure they are perfectly straight when placing them over Victorian floorboards

KarmaNoMore Sun 05-Mar-17 22:50:11

Heavy, not heaven (I love IKEA but not that much!)

Babyg1995 Mon 06-Mar-17 08:41:35

OK thanks on all your advice yes definitely buying a electric screwdriver today 😊

Kiroro Mon 06-Mar-17 09:40:15

Totally easy to build. Drawers are probably the hardest things I reckon.

You can build wardrobes yourself as long as there is head height clearance to build flat and lift up. Might find it hard to hang the doors on your own.

However... saying that it is easy I have employed the services of a flat pack company to come in and build 3x double wardrobes, a bed and a big chest of drawers. I just couldn't face building that all myself in one go and am on a bit of a time line constraint.

MiaowTheCat Mon 06-Mar-17 10:12:26

I quite like building Ikea furniture (and I'm better at it than DH). Follow the instructions, check which obscure screw is which before you start and don't do DH's trick of dumping screws everywhere then ranting he can't find the one he needs and you'll be fine.

Apart from their bloody loft bed - that thing scarred me for life mentally when I had to build it for my brother. I've been the designated flat pack furniture assembler in our family since my dad left when I was aged 10 and my mum discovered I was better at it than she was!

I did pay for the assembly service for the kids' beds recently though - very very complex bunk bed/storage/shelving thing that every review on Amazon praised the product and cursed the instructions - viewed that as money well spent for someone else to do the swearing at it!

MiaowTheCat Mon 06-Mar-17 10:13:24

Oh yeah and don't do what my dad (before he left) did with an MFI table... he hated DIY so would deliberately fuck it all up so never asked to do anything again... he hammered the screws into a coffee table. Every time you put a cup down on it the whole bloody thing would collapse and we were skint so we lived with this for years!

BarbaraofSeville Mon 06-Mar-17 10:15:50

It's very easy, but a second pair of hands is often useful for bigger things.

The tools they sell in Ikea are excellent and quite cheap.

TranquilityofSolitude Mon 06-Mar-17 10:22:43

Just one word of warning: if you are assembling a wardrobe which has instructions either to build it horizontally or vertically, don't begin by following one set and then try to switch to the other. The partially-assembled wardrobe will not be strong enough to stay rigid as you move it and your beautiful sturdy rectangle will become a parallelogram with broken ends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now