Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Washing machine broken - seeking repairman recommendation (Islington)

(8 Posts)
patriciatbrogan Sun 05-Mar-17 20:50:43

Hi,

My washing machine is broken: the drum is not turning, I think it may be to do with the belt. I just don't want to spend £60 or more to call in a repairman, does anyone know somebody in my area who can help out?

Thanks

123bananas Sun 05-Mar-17 20:56:12

Try a search on here.

downwardfacingdog Sun 05-Mar-17 21:54:47

You can change the belt yourself. I did my drier recently. Ordered a replacement belt online and watched YouTube vids on how to do it. Was fiddly but only cost me about £15 including delivery for the belt. Can't see you paying much less than £50 to get someone in though.

Villagernumber9 Mon 06-Mar-17 00:14:14

Unfortunately, repairing it might not be worth it. It could be the belt, motor or something simple like the filter at the bottom, behind a panel.
How old and what make is your washing machine?

DramaAlpaca Mon 06-Mar-17 00:27:05

If the drum is not turning it might be the brushes. This is quite a cheap & easy job to do yourself. Have a google and look on Youtube.

patriciatbrogan Mon 06-Mar-17 08:56:09

Hi, I don't know how old it is, I bought the property with it - it is an Indesit WD 12 S.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks.

HiDBandSIL Mon 06-Mar-17 09:13:30

+1 for it being the brushes. Our washing machine (14 years old) stopped turning recently and it was the brushes. It cost £85 to have them replaced. Having read apacas post I'm thinking I should have done it myself!

imip Mon 06-Mar-17 10:35:59

Dh and I replaced the brushes ourselves. With the help of YouTube! It was a little tricky but the cost was under a tenner!

Dh then replaced the neighbour's brushes.

If you put the problem into YouTube you may be able to isolate the problem.

I'm v close to Islington and when our dishwasher broke down we called got Currys to fix it. It was expensive, about £100, but giggling showed us it was a problem beyond our expertise. If currys cant fix it, you don't pay the charge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now