Talk

Advanced search

How would you extend this house?

(12 Posts)
TripleMinion Sun 05-Mar-17 15:29:28

I've seen a house I really like but it would need some work to make the big enough for us.

Ideally we need 4 bedrooms as a minimum and I would like a utility room and maybe at least one ensuite.

Has anyone got any suggestions of how you would remodel this floor plan? Also can you get an architect to look at a house before you put in an offer?

I can see that there is lots of potential but no idea how you would work out what you could do or how much it would cost to do it before you actually buy it.

Fourbyfour Sun 05-Mar-17 15:36:05

Can you afford a two storey extension on the back? Remove the back conservatory/dining room, extend out into a big kitchen diner and make current kitchen space a large utility and downstairs boot room etc and I'd move the toilet there to make your hall feel bigger.
Make bedroom 4 an en suite to bedroom 1, add two bedrooms in the upstairs of the two storey extension connected by a hallway from the stairs (cutting some space from bedroom 4)

Fourbyfour Sun 05-Mar-17 15:37:23

Sorry I meant extend the hallway by taking space from bedroom 2. You could make the family bathroom bigger also by taking a bit more space from bedroom 2.

bigredboat Sun 05-Mar-17 15:37:39

I'm assuming the left part of the kitchen and the office are an extension? Could you add a 2nd storey to this bit, and square off the back wall of the kitchen? You could divide the office into a smaller office and utility or just have a utility and an L shaped kitchen.

Upstairs you could access the new extension either by making the bathroom smaller (maybe en suite to bed 2) and having a corridor between the bathrooom and stairs leading to a bedroom and bathroom.

Do you want to re-jig the downstairs layout? 2 conservatories seems excessive and the rooms don't really flow that well.

mrscrocopop Sun 05-Mar-17 15:37:44

Ha, that's like asking how long is a piece of string!!! Depends on your budget I guess.

You can get architects or builders round prior to buying as long as you are willing to pay for their professional advice.

If you are on a tightish budget then I would turn the downstairs bedroom into a utility room & boot room, then put stairs into the attic where bedroom four is and out two bedrooms, one with en suite in the attic.

TripleMinion Sun 05-Mar-17 15:50:08

I'd thought maybe getting rid of the back conservatory and changing it to a wider single story kitchen/dinning room. Then building on top of the existing side extension to add two more bedrooms maybe. So I suppose similar to your ideas bigredboat.

Fourbyfour I'd not thought about adding a two story extension to the back which might make sense.

grin I know exactly what you mean mrscrocopop.

The house would be about 100k under budget so I think we could get what we want within that. After a bit of googling it seems we should budget between £1200-£1500 per sq metre, add 50% of the price of a single storey extension to cost out a two storey and budget between 5k and 10k for bathrooms or kitchens.

We've never done anything like this before so completely clueless!

JoJoSM2 Sun 05-Mar-17 20:10:21

It would be a big project requiring planning permission - which you may or may not get. It could be really worth it as you could add lots of value to the house. However, could you just convert the loft to add a bedroom + ensuite? And do you need the garage for a car? If you would only use it for storage, then you could use some of it for a utility room.

downwardfacingdog Sun 05-Mar-17 20:35:40

I would extend the kitchen at the back on the ground floor and pRob ably knock through to the family room. Upstairs I would lose bed 4 as it is tiny and make a spacious landing which would give you room for stairs above the existing stairs for a loft conversion and access to a larger 3rd bedroom above the existing side extension. This would leave you with 4 good sized bedrooms, one with ensue (in loft) and an open plan kitchen/dining/living space with separate sitting room/snug and office.

downwardfacingdog Sun 05-Mar-17 20:36:51

Oh and you could steal space from the back of the office for the utility off the kitchen.

MissDuke Mon 06-Mar-17 09:47:17

Are there other houses on the road that appear to have been extended? It is worth nosying to see as if a guide to whether you might get planning permission to do so.

Kiroro Mon 06-Mar-17 09:54:47

Full length two story extension to the right hand side of the property. I would also make the back conservatory into a real extension at the same time.

Full width two story extension replacing the conservatory at the back.

Loft conversion + nick a bit of the downstairs 'bedroom' for a utility room accessed from kitchen.

TripleMinion Mon 06-Mar-17 23:31:38

Lots of really good ideas! Not sure on the other houses in the road so I'll have to try and have a look at that. Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: