Talk

Advanced search

Replastering costs?

(7 Posts)
crapitus Sat 04-Mar-17 23:00:55

Following from my earlier thread about DB potentially buying a house, can anyone tell me how much roughly it would cost to cosmetically renovate a 3 bed semi? The house he's looking at is very dated, has polystyrene tiles on all the ceilings, heavily wallpapered then painted over walls and narrow, nasty looking coving in every room.
I suspect the walls will need scraping back, tiles removing and replastering. Then it will all need decorating and new plain, neutral carpets right through.
The house has 3 beds, 2 double, 1 single and two reception rooms plus kitchen and utility area. Oh and small hall, stairs and landing.
What sort of rough estimate would you say it will be to make it cosmetically neutral please? Any ideas?

Fourbyfour Sat 04-Mar-17 23:10:55

There are so many factors here it's impossible to say. Will he do the removal of current decor or someone else? Will he repaint the walls of a decorator?
Plastering a couple grand.
Painting and decorating a couple grand.
Tiling all depends on price of tiles, how many, probably a couple grand including fitting if doing bathrooms and utility and kitchen etc.
Carpets a couple thousand for purchase and fitting.
You also might have to consider, new skirting, new door frames, new doors.
The list is endless really but id recommend £10k.

5OBalesofHay Sat 04-Mar-17 23:16:27

Around 10 grand as long as no structural stufg

19lottie82 Sun 05-Mar-17 21:54:33

Prob about £400-500 per room for the plastering and new coving, not including stripping original wall covering then redecorating.

I have a 4 bed house and bought decent ish carpet which cost £1200. It wasn't posh but was the higher ish end from a carpet warehouse type place. Then we were another £300 for underlay and fitting.

As already pointed out if you were doing all that work you'd really need new doors, skirting, window ledges, blinds, that sort of thing.

I'd allow £10k...... chances are you could get it done for a bit less but there's always unexpected costs that crop up with these sort of projects. That was he won't go over budget.

crapitus Sun 05-Mar-17 22:06:49

Thanks all, it really helps to have a ball park figure he needs to play with.

19lottie82 Sun 05-Mar-17 22:11:53

When doing the plastering make sure you get three quotes as chances are they may differ a LOT. If they pipe up with "I may not be the cheapest, but I am the best" then you know they're going to sting you!

The overheads for a plasterer are fairly low so it's just the labour you're paying for really. Unless you're going on a personal recommendation ask them to show you photos of their previous work. And ALWAYS haggle on price, especially if you're wanting the full house done.

Kiroro Mon 06-Mar-17 10:03:06

As already pointed out if you were doing all that work you'd really need new doors, skirting, window ledges, blinds, that sort of thing.

+1

Are you doing new kitchen and bathroom?

Not including any kitchen/bathroom work - I would allow £1.5k - £2k/room, maybe slightly more. By the time you have paid for a plasterer, decorator, bought new doors and door furniture, skirting etc and new carpets it will be add up a lot.

What about the electrics? Does it need a rewire? Now is the time to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now