Talk

Advanced search

Foundations under garage doors

(5 Posts)
SquidgeyMidgey Sat 04-Mar-17 21:25:48

Quick version is what have you paid (per door width) to have foundations/lintels/underpinning under the door when you've had a garage converted into living space?

McMumface Sat 04-Mar-17 21:38:20

We are currently converting an integral double garage into a living room,we are bricking the bottom half of where the garage doors were,adding stone lintels then putting two large windows in.We have had to get what is called a 'flitch beam' put in(metal plate sandwiched between two wood lintels) which has cost £104.My partner bought two lengths of 8x2 wood for £14,then managed to get an off-cut of steel from an engineering company for £90.He is then going to sandwich them together with bolts to make the flitch beam.
Hope this helps x

SquidgeyMidgey Sat 04-Mar-17 21:53:16

Thanks McMumface, because we have (since the original conversion) put in a loo building control are on the scene and have told us we need more than that- currently have reinforced concrete lintels underground where the doors were but looking at more work.

McMumface Sat 04-Mar-17 22:13:14

Sorry I couldn't helpconfused(we are having a small cloakroom built in part of it,but entry from the utility room)a new boiler and underfloor heating installed and the building regs concerning it are mind-blowing!I hope you get it sorted without too much expense x

SquidgeyMidgey Sat 04-Mar-17 22:23:57

No, thanks for offering yours up. We've been quoted up to 3k and it's a cost we weren't expecting so I wanted to check that we weren't being fleeced!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now