Talk

Advanced search

asbestos cement ceilings

(5 Posts)
happyfam4 Fri 03-Mar-17 18:49:33

Hi again, we are seriously planning to go ahead a house with asbestos cement ceilings. Only one we can afford in our area sad

We need to rewire the house too which the electrician said it is fine, he just needs to prepare properly e.g foam the area, mask and etc

The question is, do we overboard for half the price of removing it?

We have 2 beautiful boys so hate to put them at risk.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Thank you

CrumblyMumbly Tue 07-Mar-17 17:22:26

Hi, I have been in my house with asbestos ceilings for 20 years and have survived! The council said it is only 10% white asbestos and fine if left intact. Most of the houses in our street have over boarded with no issues. Enjoy your new house!

MrsSkeffington Wed 08-Mar-17 13:28:57

It's everywhere in my house!

RubyRedRuby Wed 08-Mar-17 13:58:51

It's an excellent fire barrier and perfectly safe as long as you don't break it. Once it is overboarded it is 'sealed' up and fine. You need to let anyone who would be 'breaking' it (nearly always electricians) it's there, otherwise there's no problem. Nearly every house built before 1980 has asbestos somewhere in it - soffits, loft, artex ceilings as it was very popular for its fire retardant properties. You are 'safer' than most people who have no idea it is there and blithely drill into it. I know all this because we have it too!

mrsmortis Wed 08-Mar-17 14:15:23

We have an asbestos cement ceiling in our porch. The asbestos survey that we had done when we moved in said that it was fine as long as it was left in tact. It recommends a regular visual inspection by the home owners to ensure that it isn't damaged. But otherwise its fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now