Talk

Advanced search

Help! Kitchen supplier advice - potentially custom...?

(18 Posts)
NorthLondonLovely Fri 03-Mar-17 17:44:18

Hello everyone,

I would love some advice from a first time home renovator!

We are just about to embark on a kitchen extension. I have quite particular ideas about what the kitchen will look like and not sure where to start in terms if finding suppliers.

I have included a link to the "dream kitchen". Is this bespoke? Will I have to have the colour bespoke too or are there navy kitchens out there off the shelf?

Completely stumped and possibly only have 8 weeks to make a decision and order!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
www.digsdigs.com/vintage-navy-kitchen-design/

Thanks x

W8woman Fri 03-Mar-17 18:38:31

There are a number of suppliers who do this look. It's a painted cabinet or in-frame Shaker kitchen, a style I like as it doesn't date and can be very easily personalised. Have a look at Devol, British Standard, Neptune. These are modular (so individual cupboards in standard sizes) which fit together on a grid

They are not bespoke or "custom" as they are manufactured offsite in a factory in large volumes.

If you want a bespoke kitchen in a similar style but with unique elements or measurements you'll need to employ a cabinetmaker. It can cost the same, but as it's usually one or two guys in a garage you'll be waiting a while.

NorthLondonLovely Fri 03-Mar-17 18:43:04

LOVE the Devol link! They actually feature some of the kitchens I have pinned on pinterest too..... Have a feeling this is not going to be cheap....

Thank you!

W8woman Fri 03-Mar-17 18:50:45

If you are on a budget, Howden's have a cabinet kitchen range too. I personally find their doors a little flimsy and have previously specified bespoke doors for their units, which is an option that you can defer for when you have the money. One advantage of Howden's is that the units are mostly kept in stock so if you wanted to install next week, you could.

TimTamTerrier Fri 03-Mar-17 19:00:30

That's a lovely kitchen. I'm thinking of doing a dark blue kitchen in my new house too, probably more marine blue than navy blue. I like a gloss finish so I will probably have them custom sprayed. On 'The House that £100K Built' there was a kitchen that the owners had plain cabinet doors sprayed at a car workshop in metallic car paint, and they looked amazing, so that might be an option for me. I don't see any reason why you couldn't be supplied with unfinished doors and you could organise for them to be sprayed with the colour of your choice in regular paint before they are fitted.

The photo below is the kitchen that inspired me, although I don't like the breakfast bar bit, and the colour isn't quite right.

NorthLondonLovely Fri 03-Mar-17 19:01:58

The Devol pricing is really reasonable - brochure ordered. The colours are amazing too.

Will look at Howdens but have a real thing about the quality.

I really like deep drawers and struggling to get that with a traditional shaker kitchen.

Thanks for your help :-)

HomeExtender Fri 03-Mar-17 22:59:15

I love, love, LOVE deVOL and Plain English (British Standard are their cheaper cabinets but still nice). Second Nature 1909 are lovely too.

Ramona75 Sun 05-Mar-17 07:14:08

What makes a kitchen really bespoke is the colour. The rest of the bespoke look comes down to your imagination and where/how you position the units.

Anotherminime Sun 05-Mar-17 07:48:26

Have a look at DIY kitchens, they do an in frame shaker style painted cabinet and you can colour match any farrow and ball colour (drawing room blue or stiffkey I'm guessing you'd like). They have very good service and great product - there are tons of great reviews of them. They are also quick which is great if you have a short timeframe.

Have a look at this Tom Howley kitchen too for inspiration - we based ours on this kitchen and it's beautiful now. pin.it/H9Ny67I

Also other details which make it are things like Perrin and Rowe taps and the handles like the croft and assinder Monmouth cup handles. Other things they have in your dream kitchen is a quooker boiling water tap and probably silestone surface (lagoon/Ariel/Orion are all in that white marble effect). As you can tell I've spent a while planning he details of a kitchen like this!! grin

Blowninonabreeze Sun 05-Mar-17 07:51:48

We live near the Loughborough devol showroom. It is lovely. Their prices can be reasonable if you can accommodate their standard sizes. Anything 'bespoke' costs.

Floor units cheaper than wall.... depends on the layout/style you want.

For more inspiration see here....
http://www.theshakerkitchen.co

1909 kitchen also a good site for inspiration

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 05-Mar-17 08:00:43

If the majority of the kitchen can be standard sizes products then you can add one or two custom made elements too - have designed in a few like this for people - using Jali.co.uk to supply the bespoke sized item . Also have mixed two ranges of DIY kitchens to give a lower overall price for a kitchen by using tall cabinets as inframe mixed with no frame base drawer cabinets but all custom painted the same colour ! Think I can put a link to that one ... https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/61469983/kandr-kitchen-laundry-lounge-dining-gym-and-study-country
Think the link might only take you to one pic - but there's the whole design too if you look around from that page ?

Crumbelina Sun 05-Mar-17 10:35:02

Is Devol reasonable? I had a feeling that their kitchens would be upwards of £25-30k. I'm guessing that DIY Kitchens would be much cheaper than this?

OP, you have great taste. It's exactly the kind of kitchen I want!

NorthLondonLovely Mon 06-Mar-17 12:19:29

Thanks so much everyone for your help.

@ Anotherminime it sounds like you have been in the planning mood longer than I have!

Just had a Crittal window quote back at £12k which I dont think is unreasonable but may be too much for the budget - also a really long lead time!

I am going to the Devol showroom on Saturday with our plans :-)

We are also going to Wren Kitchens.....to check out the customisation as you can really build your own thing but the reviews are SCARY :-/

Let you know how we get on! Our builder is started in 2 weeks for a 10 week project so with lead times need to have have a decision soooon.

x

JoJoSM2 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:19:22

You seem to have very little time left. I'd expect the kitchen in your picture to cost 50k (with worktops and appliances etc). Not sure what your budget is but if it's tighter, great results can be achieved with Ikea carcasses + custom fronts.

Anotherminime Mon 06-Mar-17 21:35:05

Honestly look at DIY kitchens, they are really good! I agree with JoJo that the kitchen in the pic would cost £50k+ (probably more actually as it's huuugggee). We got a bespoke kitchen and paid a similar amount. However we got DIY kitchens to do our utility, colour matched to the same farrow and ball paint. Yes you can tell the difference, but it's not a huge difference. Plus their lead times are short and the services was a million times better than the company we used for the kitchen!!

fizzandbubbles Tue 14-Mar-17 11:14:42

Hi NorthLondonLovely,
Not sure if you're looking to go bespoke but if you are have you looked at Davonport? My friend got her kitchen from them a couple of years back and loves it. Might be worth a look?

jeffgreen17 Mon 27-Mar-17 11:01:58

We used StoneHouse Bespoke Kitchens for our kitchen design. You can find more information here....
www.bespokekitchendesign.co.uk

Tatlerer Mon 27-Mar-17 21:22:08

Shamelessly jumping in! Love the Tom Howley/ DeVol look but we are having a major house refurb and simply can't afford £50-£80K on what will be our very big kitchen. So, am gunning for a DIY kitchen with some additions from a joiner. My husband has been researching the life out of it and has concluded that we might need to hire an independent kitchen designer to plot out the units etc? Any thoughts? X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now