Talk

Advanced search

Where should we move to?

(37 Posts)
Susiethetortoiseshellcat Fri 03-Mar-17 13:21:05

Looking for some advice. We bought our first house in Essex a few years ago. No ties to area, just seemed nice and was commutable to London. House is 2 bedroom but very close to high street and train station which is important to me. We now have a baby and would like another in the future so would love a 3 bedroom house but I am DESPERATE to move areas. I just haven't settled here and don't enjoy living in this area at all. My dh needs to commute into London but our budget is only 470, 000. I'm currently not working but am a teacher so quite easy for me to find work/supply anywhere. Does a place exist where we could afford 3 bedrooms, be close to a station/shops and commute into London? I'm beginning to think it doesn't!

jenks81 Fri 03-Mar-17 13:52:34

It depends partly whereabouts in London he needs to commute to. What about Cambridge, it's 50 minutes by train into Kings Cross and a gorgeous place to live.

Kiroro Fri 03-Mar-17 13:54:22

What about Cambridge,

LOL Cambridge is about as expensive as london!!! £470k does not give you much choice of 3 bed in Cambridge.

empirerecordsrocked Fri 03-Mar-17 13:55:58

Where does he need to commute to and do you want the station for London or somewhere else? What don't you like - too quiet or too built up or something else?

Susiethetortoiseshellcat Fri 03-Mar-17 13:56:55

Thank you. I would love to move to CambridgeCambridge, I absolutely love it there. Dh commutes to Westminster though so think the commute might be a bit long? Also can I get a house near to the station for our budget?

Blumkin Fri 03-Mar-17 14:01:31

Canterbury is on the high speed train link to London, loads of stuff on for toddlers and slightly older kids. Then there is a large student population which means teenagers are catered for. The only thing to consider for the future is that it's a grammar school area, so depends on your views of those.

jenks81 Fri 03-Mar-17 14:03:33

They're about to open a second train station in Cambridge (I think it's going to be called Cambridge North) which gives you more options to be nearish a station. Kiroro is right it's not a cheap place to live but have a look on Rightmove and see what's there in your budget to give you an idea. It wouldn't be ideal for getting to Westminster though, you're probably better being somewhere that goes into Waterloo as that's what my mum did when she worked in Westminster. It depends how long he is happy to spend on a train commuting as well.

Susiethetortoiseshellcat Fri 03-Mar-17 14:06:15

Kiroro that's what I thought. Sigh. Not sure exactly what I don't like about area. It doesn't feel like a place in its own right, if you see what I mean? I love the way it's close to countryside and parks and forests but the high street doesn't have much personality. I just don't feel like I fit in very well.

YERerseISootTHEwindy Fri 03-Mar-17 14:07:06

Depends where in London

Try anywhere on the east grinstead to Victoria line.

Lots work in London in that area.

470 will get you something reasonableish depending on your criteria and which town you choose.

Kiroro Fri 03-Mar-17 14:24:59

Try this website
www.commutefrom.com/

YERerseISootTHEwindy Fri 03-Mar-17 14:29:44

Ah, just read it is westminster... maybe my suggestion is not so good.

KickAssAngel Fri 03-Mar-17 14:32:58

Tonbridge in Kent has trains directly to Charing Cross which are fast and frequent. There are good schools, a big park and quite a lot of things to do, although it is a mix of pound stores and Waitrose type places.

There are many 3 beds for your budget.

It's not as 'naice' as Tunbridge Wells, but I grew up near there and really liked it.

GrubbyWindows Fri 03-Mar-17 17:29:55

Where did you last really like living? (Just to get a sense of what suits you).
It is possible to get three beds in zone 2-3 for that, if you don't mind truly ugly ex council houses/flats. But not if you do mind.

Susiethetortoiseshellcat Fri 03-Mar-17 18:00:29

I lived in Greenwich (renting) for a while and loved it there. I've also lived in Norwich and really liked it there.

Susiethetortoiseshellcat Sat 04-Mar-17 08:30:21

Grubby can you give any examples? I would love to move back to London but had ruled it out because of our budget.

crazycatguy Sat 04-Mar-17 08:32:49

Cheshunt is z7 and Broxbourne z8. 470k would get you near Cheshunt station and get you a decent sized house. Easy commute into London.

Similarly Watford?

SimplyNigella Sat 04-Mar-17 08:41:46

How long a commute would your DH consider?

flownthecoopkiwi Sat 04-Mar-17 08:44:27

South Cambridge? Liverpool street line, whittlesford parkway station. Whittlesford nice village. We live nearby. Close to Cambridge.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 04-Mar-17 08:45:58

It depends how much of a lifestyle change you want. People commute from where we live in Dorset, it is a big commitment for the person who commutes though.

Bournemouth is lovely and £500k would get you a lot of house for your money.

AndShesGone Sat 04-Mar-17 08:49:49

A lot of south east London is in that budget (I've just bought a 3 bed for that amount)

There are so many amazing areas to consider Lee/Hither Green/Brockley/honor oak/forest hill/Sydenham/Greenwich/Blackheath/ kidbrooke/even Eltham

AndShesGone Sat 04-Mar-17 08:53:21

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64835456.html

Very cheap, not large but it's very easy to get to work

AndShesGone Sat 04-Mar-17 08:56:34

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45368748.html

5 minutes walk to Lee station/great pub/nice bakery/shops

Practicalpam Sat 04-Mar-17 08:57:22

Have you considered Berkhamsted? We have friends there and it is lovely and has great schools. No idea how far your budget will stretch there though. It often does very well in those Sunday papers "Best place to live" surveys.

AndShesGone Sat 04-Mar-17 08:59:25

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63750890.html

This place is fantastic. Very busy Road (south circular) but 2 off road parking spaces. Opposite the lovely Mountsfield park, close to nice shops in Hither Green. Good schools etc

If this had been on when we were looking I'd have bought it. Yes, needs work but it's a solid place

Bus stops opposite for ten minutes to Blackheath/Greenwich

AndShesGone Sat 04-Mar-17 09:02:04

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58307341.html

Good road close to Lewisham and catford and the top of mountsfield park

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now