Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Small house, big garden - storage options.

(8 Posts)
naturalbaby Fri 03-Mar-17 11:13:23

We have a house that needs modernising, which we are doing in small chunks room by room. There is no storage space in the house so stuff is piling up in boxes and crates in the corners of rooms. I'm looking at trunks or wardrobes for a couple of the bedrooms - is Ikea Pax the best option?

We are looking into putting something in the garden that we can use but we have several cars, and one of them went mouldy when not used for several weeks last winter, so anything we put there would have to be well insulated/sealed I guess.
I'm wondering what other low cost solutions there are. I thought about storage containers but Dh says the stuff inside will get damp.

Kiroro Fri 03-Mar-17 11:49:02

Do you want a temporary storage solution for 'now' whilst you renovate or are you looking for a perm solution?

What are you trying to store?

Do you need access to the stuff often?

JoJoSM2 Fri 03-Mar-17 11:58:42

I think I'd go with a massive clearout and cavernous floor-to-ceiling wardrobes. The Ikea system is very good and offers a range of internal fit out options to make the most of the space. You can also make the most of odd nooks and crannies, the space under the stairs, storage beds (loads of space inside!), a storage ottoman instead of a coffee table, extra tall chests of drawers etc.

cestlavielife Fri 03-Mar-17 20:23:31

Keter store it xl is watertight dry and easily put up and moved

naturalbaby Fri 03-Mar-17 21:23:17

Temporary but some stuff potentially longer - they type of stuff you'd keep in an attic. Bigger stuff like furniture would be temporary. We would probably want regular access to it.
Under the stairs is a bit musty and difficult to access, and has the hoover, ironing board, heater, fan....
Beds - we have underbed storage bags for out of season clothes and the kids have cabin beds so they have toys or space to play/read underneath.

The keter store it looks great, thanks for the recommendation.

I drove past a caravan today and thought - would that work to store furniture for a year?

JoJoSM2 Sat 04-Mar-17 16:25:52

Or you could rent a storage unit. We rented one a few years ago and had the key for it so access was easy.

Wiifitmama Sat 04-Mar-17 17:02:08

We have a massive shed in our very large garden (small flat). We have moved out for a few months as we are doing renovations and are storing loads in our shed. It has a solid concrete base and then the wooden floor on top. Nothing is damp in there.

naturalbaby Sat 04-Mar-17 21:55:18

I want to avoid renting a storage unit - we have space in the garden and if it works out then we could rent it out after we've used it.

Maybe a concrete base for the shed is the answer - our current shed is very damp inside and the wooden floor is warped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now