Talk

Advanced search

Moving house with a toddler

(4 Posts)
MindyJones Thu 02-Mar-17 19:16:44

I'm moving house to a new town in 3 weeks. My LO turns 2 the day before we go. She's currently with a child minder she loves for 4 days a week. I've found a new child minder but not sure how to explain the change, or not to bother trying? Also not sure whether to take extra time off work to allow for settling in at the new child minder or just go for it. We did settling in with the current child minder but that was more about her being away from me for the first time.
I want to make as smooth a transition as possible. Any advice please?? x

BananaPie Thu 02-Mar-17 20:14:12

Do talk about it. Make a big deal about all the good things about the move.

I wouldn't bother with taking time off work for settling with new childminder but you might want to at least make sure she's met the childminder before being left for a whole day. You'll probably find she settles more quickly with the childminder second time round - as you say, she's already got the concept of being away from you.

MindyJones Thu 02-Mar-17 20:57:51

Thanks. We have been to the new child minders twice whilst we were looking for new childcare and both times she just marched in and started playing with all the new stuff but both times she didn't really look up to interact at all!

GrubbyWindows Fri 03-Mar-17 13:16:33

Yes yes to talking about it- can you get some picture books about it? Also talk about all the nice things at the new place etc, and be really clear re what will happen-
E.g., her toys are coming, you won't be moving the actual house, she gets a new childminder but she keeps granny etc. Remember she has no clue how this stuff works!
I'd take time off for settling in again too- if she doesn't need it you can use the time unpacking or- shock horror- actually have a wee rest after a really busy time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now