Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen access, yay or nay

(17 Posts)
Tobuyornot99 Thu 02-Mar-17 17:33:35

Thinking of ways to redesign a kitchen (11' x 8') that has 3 doors in it. One is through to diner, one to utility and one to hallway. Plan is to knock through kitchen diner, and block up door to hallway making more usable space. Is not having kitchen access form the hall a huge PITA though? Lugging shopping through living room etc? Will it put any potential future buyers off? Wisdom of MN appreciated.

wowfudge Thu 02-Mar-17 17:46:01

Unless there is an easy alternative route from where you park to the kitchen, don't do it. Consider a pocket door, having the door open into the hallway instead of the kitchen and using some of the dining room wall space for part of the kitchen before you block up the door to the hall. Or even moving the opening if there is that option and it gives you a large area of kitchen wall to play with.

Qwebec Thu 02-Mar-17 18:04:30

100% agree with wowfudge. Going through 2 additionnal rooms to access the kitchen is not reasonable if there is a possible alternative.

Crikeyblimey Thu 02-Mar-17 18:08:03

It will drive you mad and turn your sitting room into a thoroughfare.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Thu 02-Mar-17 18:13:11

Don't do it!

Tobuyornot99 Thu 02-Mar-17 18:33:24

OK thanks! Should have mentioned really that an option would be to bring the shopping through the back (which the drive gives easy access to), still a no?

Tobuyornot99 Thu 02-Mar-17 18:34:55

So many doors in such a small kitchen!

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Thu 02-Mar-17 18:36:49

I don't think it's a big issue. Lots of Victorian terraces don't have access from the hall to the kitchen. And if you've got easy access from the back and drive then I would say go for it.

oleoleoleole Thu 02-Mar-17 18:38:30

Looking at that layout I would just knock kitchen into sitting room so you have a large day room kitchen/diner. Separate lounge and separate diner.

Tobuyornot99 Thu 02-Mar-17 18:41:46

What they have termed as a sitting room will be knocked through to become a kitchen diner. The room they have termed dining room will be a play room and the living room will be used as a living room. Hope that makes sense!

Anotherminime Thu 02-Mar-17 18:47:36

How much flexibility do you have to move the kitchen area? I think the best layout would be to block the door between the sitting room and living room. Then when you knock through you could use the sitting room end for the kitchen (maybe an L shaped kitchen) and the kitchen end as the dining room. That way you don't need to block the door from the hallway. It would cost more to move the drainage and plumbing, but if that's feasible it might give you a much better layout.

Tobuyornot99 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:17:26

Anotherminime you are a bit of a genius! Depending on costs that could be viable. Or even if I keep the kitchen where it is and have a run of units against the now closed off door for crockery and all the kitchen cap I've accumulated that doesn't get used

Oblomov17 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:23:52

MiniMe that sounds like a very good idea.

titchy Thu 02-Mar-17 19:27:46

Block up wall between sitting and living rooms. Kitchen as is, but where the units on the wall to be knocked down are consider a peninsular unit, or replace with an island unit if space.

wowfudge Thu 02-Mar-17 19:37:13

When I saw the plan, I thought the same as minime. Make the living room separate, accessed only from the hall.

PunjanaTea Thu 02-Mar-17 20:51:25

I was also going to suggest loosing the door to the sitting room and keeping the hallway door.

Anotherminime Thu 02-Mar-17 21:26:29

Glad I could help grin good luck with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now