We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should this put me off?

(11 Posts)
a2992 Thu 02-Mar-17 17:31:37

Longtime lurker, first time poster!
I'm currently in the process of buying a house - been told it's in a lovely area by people who live around it, the house is beautiful.
Except a few days ago, a cannabis farm was found in a house on the street.
Should I walk away now?

MrsJamin Thu 02-Mar-17 17:32:42

Nah they could pop up anywhere. Go for it.

TobleroneBoo Thu 02-Mar-17 17:33:54

If it was found, it's probably shut down already
As PP said, they can crop up anywhere!

Blossomdeary Thu 02-Mar-17 17:34:59

Including HRH's nuclear bunker!

SorrelSoup Thu 02-Mar-17 17:38:50

There was one in the street next to mine. It's a nice, sought after, suburban area. Most houses aren't rented but this one was. After the raid the landlord was giving away all the plant pots on his drive!!! grin

a2992 Thu 02-Mar-17 17:49:38

See that was my thought - it's gone now! But my DP is more reluctant and I don't know if I'm being stupid for even still considering it!

wowfudge Thu 02-Mar-17 17:52:19

Good lord don't be put off. We found out the last house we bought had been the cannabis farm several years before! There were an awful lot of plug sockets in the cost, dry lined cellar.

oleoleoleole Thu 02-Mar-17 17:54:15

You can google the crime stats for the street, area etc before you go ahead. IMO cannabis farms are in areas where police are likely to look last. I live in a village of about 50 houses, next door but one to two police officers. The house I live in now is not overlooked and very private. In a previous life it was a cannabis farm. Village people thought tenants worked shifts!!

Bluntness100 Thu 02-Mar-17 17:55:08

Nah, course not, you're never going to buy anywhere if you want to be assured of never being near a cannabis farm.

TreeTop7 Fri 03-Mar-17 23:27:02

There was one near us amongst a sea of naice 4-bed detached houses. The owner was a fairly successful restauranteur. It was discovered when someone burgled his house in his absence and the police went in, having had a call from his neighbour about the front dooor being wide open.

Pradaqueen Sat 04-Mar-17 17:41:32

God no. Look at this story. This is an area I used to live in and plenty of people (I have to say I am not one) think it's where you live when you've 'made it' confused. It us fair to say that the only thing stopping the house sales in the area now are stamp duty and over-pricing - not the cannabis farm!

m.essexlive.news/huge-cannabis-factory-found-in-hutton-mount-mansion/story-29488150-detail/story.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now