Talk

Advanced search

Built in coffee machine, yes or no?

(18 Posts)
chipmonkey Thu 02-Mar-17 17:19:07

Just that really. Will hopefully be renovating the kitchen soon and quite fancy the idea of a built in coffee maker but am a bit aghast at the prices.
But I do like my coffee and would love to be able to just push a button for a brew in the mornings. Do you have one? Would you recommend it?

ChortledTheLion Thu 02-Mar-17 17:27:45

Get an appliance garage instead.(Sort of cupboard that is meant to house all gadgets in their own space, so they stay out and plugged in, but can be behind closed doors when necessary so kitchen looks less cluttered- meant for food processors, coffee machines, toasters, stand mixers etc). Pop a coffee maker on part of the space and hey presto.

That will be cheaper now, and also cheaper to repair/replace in the future.

chipmonkey Thu 02-Mar-17 17:38:07

That's a great idea, Chortled.

ChortledTheLion Thu 02-Mar-17 18:44:11

There's lots of examples of them on Pinterest to give you ideas of how it could look. Just do a search for "appliance garage" on there. We're going to have one in our new kitchen, with shelves above in sort of pantry arrangement and built in appliances underneath. I don't lose hours drooling over them on Pinterest, on no not me

Anotherminime Thu 02-Mar-17 18:52:04

I'd second the appliance garage route plus a nespresso machine. They don't cost much and take up little space. We have just redone our kitchen and have one, its fabulous. Houses the nespresso, toaster, kenwood and breadmaker. We also built in a steam oven into it.

The built in coffee machines are stupid money, a pain to maintain and it means you can only have one type of coffee. Nespresso pods make it easy for you to swap between different types.

Anotherminime Thu 02-Mar-17 18:53:35

Sorry I just read my post back and it doesn't make a huge amount of sense, I meant the nespresso machine doesn't cost much and the appliance garage is fabulous! (although I also love my nespresso machine)

SeeMyVest Thu 02-Mar-17 18:54:52

I have a built in Miele coffee super duper swanky machine but honestly it's not worth it. And it's such a fuss to clean. I used a Nespresso machine instead and when that died (as they often Dow dyer 18 months) I treated myself to a Juma which is AMAZING! I won't bother with a built in one again

SeeMyVest Thu 02-Mar-17 18:55:56

* as they often die after 18 months. That was meant to say...!

chipmonkey Thu 02-Mar-17 22:27:13

Right, appliance garage it is! grin Another thing to obsess over on pinterest!

Indaba Thu 02-Mar-17 23:18:49

Been thtrough lots of fancy kitchen showrooms recently: off record they all say steer clear of built in. More expensive in first place, less choice and if it goes wrong, costly to repair. Mate has built in Mielie and spends most of her time cleaning it.

chipmonkey Sat 04-Mar-17 00:18:54

Oh God, that's all I need, more cleaning!

andadietcoke Sat 04-Mar-17 00:24:25

I have a built in one and I can't remember the last time I used it - bought a Nespresso and use that instead. It has to be warmed up for ages or run hot water through and it's just a faff. Plus I'd always forget to the clean the milk frother bit properly.

VeritysWatchTower Sat 04-Mar-17 09:20:01

I have a free standing bean to cup Delonghi which is incredibly easy to clean (reason we bought that model)

I had a new kitchen nearly 4 years ago so I can't have another one but I would definitely have an appliance garage.

Allthebestnamesareused Sat 04-Mar-17 16:15:51

had a super duper built in Neff at my old house (as it fitted the gap when we stacked other appliances). I have a £150 Nespresso at the new house and it is much better!

Pradaqueen Sat 04-Mar-17 17:34:15

I have a built in smeg one which I have to say is very good. I would definitely recommend. Also makes ace hot choc and cappuccinos. I would 100% recommend a quooker tap for really clean lines.

Shamoffour Sat 04-Mar-17 19:45:07

I have a Miele built in one. I never use it, too much of a faff! I seriously wouldn't bother.

Pradaqueen Sat 04-Mar-17 20:35:46

Smeg one is bean to cup. No faffing.

Borisrules Sun 05-Mar-17 12:29:48

I second the delonghi bean to cup machine. About £350.
Works out at 8p per cup including beans and water filters/descaling solution.
Very easy to clean.
Descale and change filter every couple of months. I love it! Best thing I have ever bought.
Much nicer coffee and cheaper than a nespresso (which I also had before)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now