Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth having a decorator in this situation?

(18 Posts)
dilapidated Thu 02-Mar-17 14:55:52

We have stripped out our house to get it ready for decoration which has also involved rewiring, new plumbing and plastering.

I am heavily pregnant and not much help at all at the moment. DP is working long hours and is unable to take any time off for the next few months.

Parents have offered to help decorate, but they are in their 60's and live about an hour away. It seems a lot for them to do.

There are 2 bedrooms, 2 reception rooms, a bathroom and kitchen.

Money is a little tight as there have been unexpected issues with the house, but we are due our tenancy deposit to be returned in the next week which we can put towards it.

DP is spending as many evenings and weekends at the house as possible to get it ready, but he is getting exhausted, and both of us are missing spending time together when its the last weeks of it being just us before baby arrives.

Would you stretch to pay for a decorator in this situation or stick to DIY?

ShortLass Thu 02-Mar-17 14:57:16

Worth getting some people round to quote while you decide.

EineKleine Thu 02-Mar-17 15:22:11

Total piece of string. Some people would get a decorator to do the lot and not consider any other option.

A divide and conquer approach might work well - ask parents to do a room or two, DH do a room or two, get a decorator in to do the reception rooms.

Kiroro Thu 02-Mar-17 17:22:07

What is the state of the walls? Bare new plaster? Have any mist coats been applied if so? If not are the surfaces all nicely prepared? Hoe much woodwook? What is the state of the woodwork?

2014newme Thu 02-Mar-17 17:24:34

Yes I no longer do any decorating get a professional

Millipedewithherfeetup Thu 02-Mar-17 17:53:47

I think if money is tight then forgot the decorator! I totally understand you wanting everything ready before the baby comes though, so take up your parents offer, do you have any other family or friends that you can ask to chip in ?

dilapidated Fri 03-Mar-17 08:20:43

Unfortunately we have moved to a totally different area so no friends nearby.

We have had so much help from DP's family already that I really dont want to put them out further

Kiroro Fri 03-Mar-17 09:45:39

I reckon you are looking at at least £3k for the decorating, potentially more.

Think about how many 'man days' it would take a professions, then think about if you really want you/DP/Dp's parents to do that amount of work?

I would 100% pay in that situation unless I really didn't have the money.

Only you can answer the time/money/finish pay off.

Newtssuitcase Fri 03-Mar-17 09:49:22

If money is tight then no I'd do it gradually yourselves.

Decorating costs are typically about £400-500 for an average sized room including woodwork and ceilings with decorators providing the white matt and gloss and you providing coloured wall paint.

dilapidated Fri 03-Mar-17 10:56:56

I am hoping that as we have done most of the prepwork (woodwork is all undercoated, walls sanded and filled or plastered, mist coats done) that it wont be too expensive.
We can spare £1500 to it, so any more than that and we will get less done.

We would be happy to decorate kitchen and bathroom, leaving just 4 simple, square rooms to decorate.
The house is empty with no carpets so that should also help.

I really don't want to be having carpets down before we have decorated if we can avoid it.

OnceUponATimeInLondon Fri 03-Mar-17 12:03:43

Normally I would never consider a decorator as I like to do it (and be a perfectionist about it!) myself. I also think I could spend the money better somewhere else.

However, I totally would in this situation. You are right about it being the last few weeks you have just you two, and the feeling of stress when you know you have to get it done and you're working long hours etc. is not worth it! I say throw the money at the problem and enjoy smile

PunjanaTea Fri 03-Mar-17 13:53:45

I'd at least get some quotes.

Is there a particular reason you can't help? I know going up a ladder may not be ideal but could you do the up to your head height stuff and the woodwork.

I redecorated my living room when I was on maternity leave when I got a bit carried away with nesting blush

dilapidated Fri 03-Mar-17 14:16:50

punjana ive been ill throughout and now have quite severe spd so in quite a lot of pain. The odd bit of cleaning is all I can manage here and there. Even getting out of bed or the bath is a struggle at the moment sad

TheRattleBag Fri 03-Mar-17 14:19:17

Price depends a lot on where you are. I'm up north and my decorator charges about £250 per standard room for painting, including all paint. Bathroom was a bit extra 'cos I wanted eggshell on some of the woodwork. So you might be able to get it all done for your budget!

BikeRunSki Fri 03-Mar-17 16:02:42

I would get a decorator. I hate being pregnant. I hate decorating. We got a decorator to do our bedroom and bathroom last year. I was mazes how quick they were and what a good job they did. Will definitely be making sacrifices in order to get a decorator when needed in future.

Mu123 Fri 03-Mar-17 16:32:30

I would def at least get the kitchen and living room done.

PunjanaTea Fri 03-Mar-17 18:23:22

Sorry to hear that dilapidated, hope I didn't make you feel bad, probably read to many pregnant snowflake threads.

Definitely get some quotes in though, I think £3,000 sounds ridiculously steep for what you need doing. I paid under a grand for hall/ landing and three bedrooms.

nancy75 Fri 03-Mar-17 18:27:23

£3000 sounds way over the top!
If the house is empty & the walls are ready to paint you should be able to get the lot done in less than a week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now