Talk

Advanced search

Dalston - Bringing kids up there? Help me , I haven't got a clue

(17 Posts)
Dalstondaddy81 Thu 02-Mar-17 00:21:35

Hello there

This is my first post so be gentle ;). Me and my fiancee are soon to be having our first child and are about to put a bid in on an property in Dalston. We live here in a 1 bed and love it to the bone......but my questions are to all those who know.....is Dalston a good place to raise kids? Schools? Things to do? Safety? Community? I may be biased but I love the place, think there is a community here and think it has improved so much and will only continue to do so.

But then I remember I don't have kids and may not be seeing lots of things that you guys are?!?

Its a 3 bed property. Not the best to look at from the outside and a small garden (think postage stamp), but its 3 double beds, on a what seems like a nice estate right by the station and I know I could make it lovely inside.....we'd love to be there for at least 10 years or so , maybe longer!

Thoughts?

Thank you for any feedback

Anxious future daddy

shartsi Thu 02-Mar-17 05:55:36

What are the schools like?

Dalstondaddy81 Thu 02-Mar-17 07:57:51

I think its a lottery here in Hackney but a quick look on performance tables are a bit confusing. There are 3 primaries next to us. Holy Trinity (outstanding ofsted) , Our lady St joseph (catholic , outstanding) and another one called De Beauvoir (average).....the numbers themselves were all bit skewed as to against average national performance but I just focused on the ofsted report, I assumed that was the right thing to do?......again a new skill for me to learn!

Kiroro Thu 02-Mar-17 09:42:25

If you can afford to buy a 3 double bed property with garden in Hackney you can probably afford private schooling! I don't really like Dalston, it is still mega grotty which is not reflected in the house prices.

sallylondon Thu 02-Mar-17 10:21:37

Also, catholic schools and possibly Holy Trinity (guessing from the religious name) are not going to be any good to you whatsoever unless you have God of the right kind in your life - baptismal certificates, regular church attendance etc. Do your homework and do not underestimate how competitive the London school application system is!!!

penguincrumble Thu 02-Mar-17 13:28:10

Dalston is nice, there is some good stuff for kids and there are some good schools but you have to make sure you're in the right area for the catchments. Good market. Good transport. I live nearby and would definitely live there with children.

Needmoresleep Thu 02-Mar-17 14:02:55

If you don't mind a bit of urban grit , it should be fun and improving. start going to church....

EssentialHummus Thu 02-Mar-17 14:12:12

Also, catholic schools and possibly Holy Trinity (guessing from the religious name) are not going to be any good to you whatsoever unless you have God of the right kind in your life - baptismal certificates, regular church attendance etc.

Exactly. I'd have a look at schoolcatchments.co.uk as a starting point. I live in Lewisham, which is not a million miles away demographically, and we have brilliant primary schools, before it all goes to hell* at secondary.

*Slight exaggeration, but our secondaries underperform year on bloody year.

EssentialHummus Thu 02-Mar-17 14:12:39

Sorry - schoolcatchment.co.uk/

imip Thu 02-Mar-17 14:19:21

Yes, it's fine. I'm bringing up my dcs here! You're right near the dalston curve garden. Holy trinity has just moved to a new premises - looks v nice. There is lots for kids to do here. Mine are all primary aged. I'm not at any school you mention but very close. There are lots of people with small dc around here. It's absolutely fine!

Primary schools are generally quite good, are are secondaries. Though they will lose out on a lot of funding near term when education funding is, um, reprioritised!

aginghippy Thu 02-Mar-17 14:29:25

If your child has not even been born yet, the local schools could change a lot by the time your lo is ready to go. If the school gets a new head, for example, or becomes an academy with a sponsor, it makes a big difference.

Dalston has changed massively in the last 4 or 5 years and in all likelihood will change even more in the next 4 or 5.

Dalstondaddy81 Thu 02-Mar-17 18:20:45

Thank you for all your responses guys! I really appreciate it

Kiroro- Its a 3 bed council terrace property that many might not want to live in , we made some money on the one bed and want to stay where we love (if that is also good for the little ones too of course) I'm a firefighter not a banker so private education is out the question and I would rather not even if I could

Essentialhumous- thank you for that link, I will check it out , I would never of known that otherwise

Needmoresleep - hahah, if it needs to be done, I'll be singing in the church choir in no time!

To everyone else - thank you so much for your help and assurance (or not, it's just opinion I do know). What a wonderful bunch you guys are!

Summerysunshine1 Fri 03-Mar-17 08:40:55

I live in Hackney, not Dalston but know Dalsron well. School catchments are seriously tight for good schools. You have to live very close.

But you've got four years to worry about that, a lot can happen in four years.

Hackney schools are actually really good. And hackney is a great place to raise kids. Though I prob wouldn't choose Dalston, I'd prefer London Fields, Clapton, Victoria Park or Stoke Newington. Much more family-friendly.

Summerysunshine1 Fri 03-Mar-17 08:57:49

Agree with pp about Dalston Curve Garden! It's seriously great! But it's under threat so we all have to do what we can to save it.

Dalston Library is also wonderful.

verybookish Fri 03-Mar-17 22:56:48

I live in the general area. My two cents are this. Ofsted is not the be all and end all. I think it's worth looking at results too. Often a school that gets good on Ofsted can have far superior results than one with outstanding.

It's true that you will have some time before your little Dalstonian (?) goes to school and that a lot can happen in that time. I personally regret not taking the schools thing more seriously when we bought our current house. You can check out the locrating website to check results, catchments etc. Good luck and congrats!

Summerysunshine1 Fri 03-Mar-17 23:02:11

Agreed, bookish. We've just moved and I got serious about school catchment! (But one of my kids will be starting school in two years.)

Binkybix Sat 04-Mar-17 08:16:46

I would say that the school issue comes around quicker than you would expect. Schools do change, but generally not that quickly. With the property market uncertain I would get serious about catchments now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now