Talk

Advanced search

New central heating system costs

(11 Posts)
gleegeek Wed 01-Mar-17 17:51:35

Hi.
We're needing our whole boiler/pipes/radiators replacing and have just had a couple of quotes which have left us a wee bit overwhelmed!
Has anybody had this done recently? We're in the southeast, 3 bed victorian semi. The quotes were both between £7 and 8 grand which was a bit more than we were expecting.
We have another heating company coming next week...
Thanks in advance smile

Jellybean85 Wed 01-Mar-17 18:29:44

I bought my house last year, I had a new boiler and full central heating system and all plumbing including bathroom towel radiator.
4 storey terraced 'townhouse'
Cost 3.5k for everything, parts and labour, so that seems excessive but where abouts are you? I'm in Yorkshire so maybe cheaper

gleegeek Wed 01-Mar-17 18:59:22

Thanks for that. We're in the southeast outside the m25 so I would expect a bit more but double??? Seems a lot...

Jellybean85 Wed 01-Mar-17 19:38:33

Yea that's why I was moved to comment, i would expect you to pay a little more for the area but double seems off?
I had a few quotes too very similar, so it wasn't a weirdly low price here!

SuperBeagle Wed 01-Mar-17 19:40:39

We recently had it put into a 3-bed, 2-bath townhouse and it cost us $6,000 AUD. Your quotes seem well above what you should be expecting to pay. Double the cost is absurd.

PuraVida Wed 01-Mar-17 22:33:08

We had a new boiler, 13 new radiators, old rank and back boiler boiler removed but kept most old pipework. It was £5.5k in a pricey sw area

We were quoted £8k by British gas. Have you had a local gas safe registered plumber quote?

PuraVida Wed 01-Mar-17 22:33:32

Tank not rank. Though the tank was quite rank

Lf803 Wed 01-Mar-17 22:40:19

My DH is a gas engineer self employed and works for British Gas 2 days a week. He just said 4K job maximum with a decent boiler.

gleegeek Wed 01-Mar-17 23:25:18

Thank you all so much for your replies! I know we live in an expensive area but we're really struggling and can't really afford more than about £5000. The 2 quotes we had were local gas safe plumbers - I dread to think what British Gas would be shock
It's so much to spend on a necessity - it's not like I can show off a beautiful new boiler or lovely radiators!
Never buy an old house and not have the money to do it up!!!

Lf803 Thu 02-Mar-17 08:33:48

Where do you actually live if you don't mind me asking?

Littlelegs19 Thu 02-Mar-17 08:45:23

It's British gas, they are a rip off! We had them come over to price up a new boiler, water tank and hot water tank (??) and move the boiler into the loft- £8.5k! I actually laughed at him! We are in a 2 bed terrace in Kent.

Going to get a local company come in and see the difference

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now