Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Conflict of interest for estate agent to accompany Surveyor?

(11 Posts)
blackistheneworange Tue 28-Feb-17 16:36:41

I just want to know if I'm being misled or not. My house has sold and the surveyors are due to come round next week. I want someone in the house while they are they and requested the Estate Agent be there. The receptionist said she would talk to "John" but was aware he was on holiday next week (he normally does viewings).

John called me back and said he couldn't do it as it was a conflict of interest. I spoke to the surveyor who said she couldn't understand why it would be so I feel I'm just being strung along.

So, can an estate agent be in the house when a survey takes place? TIA.

wowfudge Tue 28-Feb-17 16:49:16

They can give access, the issue would be more that the EA may not be able to answer any questions the surveyor has or know where everything is. Can you not arrange to be there?

blackistheneworange Tue 28-Feb-17 17:04:34

No, they are coming the only day I can't really get the time off. They are just handing my key over.

I think they just don't want to give access (as I say I know he's on holiday). Just don't like being misled, conflict of interest is a different proposition to no knowing where the electric metre is.

sparechange Tue 28-Feb-17 17:06:44

Is the surveyor coming from a company that is part of the estate agency?
That's the only way I can think it is a conflict of interest?

A lot of estate agents have a surveying arm, and they might have internal rules about keeping the 2 bits separate?

blackistheneworange Tue 28-Feb-17 17:21:16

I don't think they are the same, but I may email to ask for an outline of what the conflict of interest actually is.

bojorojo Tue 28-Feb-17 23:51:12

Can't a neighbour let them in? The reason they are not keen is because you don't normally get an estate agent to do this. Are you paying for their time? It is not a conflict of interest. The buyer won't know the EA is there? I think you could take the key to the EA and get the surveyor to collect it. That's what most people do!!

upwardsandonwards33 Tue 28-Feb-17 23:56:35

Conflict of interest is a BS excuse. The surveyors are always very professional and will not be influenced by the EA. I speak as a former EA. There is no reason why 'John' cannot accompany except that he cannot be bothered to.

FruSkogKattOla Wed 01-Mar-17 08:48:29

What upwards said. There's no conflict of interest. I used to work for an EA too and occasionally our negotiators were asked to be in a house while the survey was being done - and would happily do it. But a full structural survey can take hours and 'John' doesn't want to spend hours sitting in your house while the surveyor is there.

MissDuke Wed 01-Mar-17 10:05:46

I arranged for a relative to be there for ours, didn't occur to me to ask my EA - definitely not part of their role. If it doesn't suit then reschedule - I really think you are taking the EAs comments too much to heart!

HollySykes Wed 01-Mar-17 10:56:23

Total nonsense excuse. However It's normal for surveyors to collect keys and go unaccompanied Its not standard practise to accompany them so your asking for something that's not part of the service. If they're busy or don't want to pay a viewing rep for time that would be the equivalent of two or three viewings they're probably trying to politely say no.

bilbodog Wed 01-Mar-17 12:01:34

Very normal for surveyors to visit houses on their own, particularly if it is more than the most basic survey because it can take a long time. They are probably well known to the estate agents, they are professional people, covered by insurance for doing these sorts of visits. I wouldnt expect the EA to be present - just let them get on with it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now