Talk

Advanced search

Help interpreting survey - are these deal breakers?

(10 Posts)
harrietm87 Mon 27-Feb-17 16:35:42

We've got a short update back from the surveyor in advance of the full report on Friday. The house is a fixer upper and we expected to do a fair bit of internal work (full rewiring, replumbing, new kitchen, decorating throughout etc), but had no idea of the structural issues. This is what we've got back - are these major things? Should we be pulling out? We've only got about £20k to spend on works up front initially.

I know the full report will have more detail but a heads up at this stage would be helpful.

- repairs to the flashing on the main roof and round chimney stack to rear lean-to roof - may need to be replaced
- settlement of front bay window requiring localised structural repairs to bay
- external timber soffits and fascia boards inc rainwater goods need to be replaced
- repointing to the mortar in a no of areas

JT05 Mon 27-Feb-17 17:34:21

The only bit I'd be concerned about is the bay settlement. I'd get a structural survey, so I'd know the cost ball park, to fix.

The rest would be pretty standard in a fixer upper.

Kiroro Mon 27-Feb-17 17:37:51

Agree with JT05 - I would get a full structural survey to make sure the bay settlement isn't part of a wider structural issue.

The other stuff is just general roof upkeep and you generally wouldn't think to have it done until you get some water ingress if you are living there.

Sunnyshores Mon 27-Feb-17 17:48:49

£20k isnt going to go far on the jobs youve already identified.

The bay window needs another look at, could only be a small brickwork job, but could need complete replacement.

Repointing is a DIY job.

The roofing and guttering things I would have expected to do in a property that hasnt been maintained and depending on the size of the house they could add another £5k

harrietm87 Mon 27-Feb-17 18:05:32

Thanks all that is very helpful and what id thought re the bay.

Really frustratingly we've just had our mortgage valuation rejected because of issues with saleability (due to the work that it needs). Even though we have a 25% deposit, it's in a prime area of London, and the works aren't massive. Is there any comeback on that or do we just have to pull out? We really want this house so will be totally gutted.

bojorojo Mon 27-Feb-17 18:34:12

If it is just the bay, it is no big deal! If the surveyor has not found cracks anywhere else, then I cannot see why you would pull out. Is the bay load-bearing - probably not! It may just be shoddy construction with insufficeint foundations. £20,000 is very, very tight though. You always need a healthy contingency on a house that needs doing up. Look on the bright side, no roof problems or other really expensive repairs!

harrietm87 Mon 27-Feb-17 18:54:10

Thanks bojorojo - we don't want to pull out! But it seems our lender wants us to. Really frustrated as we've paid for a detailed building survey that basically says it's fine, while the cursory mortgage one has dismissed it. Is there anything we can do?

Sunnyshores Mon 27-Feb-17 19:55:26

It doesnt seem to be a disagreement on current value or of the work needed, what they seem to be saying is if you dont do the work, then you wouldnt be able to sell (and recoup their money) quickly, which is a fair enough concern.

So you need to prove to them that you will do the work needed to make it more saleable ie that you have the money, that you have quotes, a plan, a timescale, that you have previous experience....

Also, how long has the house been on the market? How many viewings, offers? Add those facts if they support the likleyhood of a reasonably quick sale.

Its worth at least trying to change their mind, but these days I dont hold out much hope Im afraid.

harrietm87 Mon 27-Feb-17 20:15:03

Thanks @sunnyshores. It was on the market for about a week, there were viewings on one day ("open day") and 6 offers in total. We weren't the highest offer but the sellers went with us for speed. It's very sale-able. We have £20k in savings (as our lender knows), I get a bonus and £10k payrise in May, we've got a £200k deposit and it's in zone 2 london...I was worried about our building survey but did not foresee the mortgage valuation being a problem so kind of shocked.

shash1982 Tue 28-Feb-17 09:12:44

We had the same things come up recently in a house we just exchanged on.
We had a structural engineer report done & apparently the issues with the bay are common ad the foundations for bay windows are more shallow.
It's not uncommon & apparently may just need to be be filled now & then, especially in London as the clay soil content is high.
Definatly get a structural engineer report to put your mind at ease though & to take to the lenders.
With the roof aspect things like that often come up on old houses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now