Talk

Advanced search

Help and advice re home insurance

(4 Posts)
LilyFlower2222 Sun 26-Feb-17 22:10:04

My friend bought her first house and got the keys on 26th of January. She has home insurance and has not started living in it yet as she's been doing some decorating. She went to the house today and it was flooded. Flooring, walls and carpet damaged and ceilings collapsed in areas. She thinks the Water tank in the loft got damaged somehow, she herself is not sure. On her insurance forms she declared the property would likely be left unoccupied for 30 days. As it's day 31 today would she still be able to get her claim accepted as she's not technically living there yet? She's so stressed as she thinks they'll refuse her claim because she has not been living there. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading

PigletJohn Sun 26-Feb-17 22:37:34

the description would fit a burst pipe due to frost, but I don't know if your area has been that cold.

It could also be a leak or overflow due to defective plumbing, or a tap left running.

The insurers will have a clause about leaving the heating on to prevent frost when unoccupied. It may be useful to say how many days since her last visit.

LilyFlower2222 Sun 26-Feb-17 23:20:19

Thanks for replying PigletJohn. She was last there on Monday. House is in Buckinghamshire so low temperatures could've affected the pipes.

PigletJohn Sun 26-Feb-17 23:58:36

Having had a burst-pipe claim in an unattended house, I think she should start by turning off the water and phoning her insurers to see what they say.

they probably have a panel of local plumbers and assessors.

the insurers will want to minimise future damage.

In my case I visited the house and stayed overnight a couple of times a month to keep the insurance active, and my claim was paid. IIRC they require the water to be turned off otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now