Talk

Advanced search

Any ladder experts around?

(8 Posts)
howaboutshopping Sun 26-Feb-17 15:18:17

I only have an understairs cupboard for storage, so I want a ladder that collapses down small. Ideally it'd be great to have something that can function as an A frame for decorating but also straight for longer reaches. & preferably not heavy either. Can anyone recommend a good make? I don't want to make the mistake of buying a dud and having to replace it. I'm hoping for something quality that will last for years.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 26-Feb-17 18:05:45

We had a loft man come round and he had an amazing fold out ladder, let me see if I can find it.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 26-Feb-17 18:07:32

Search 'telescopic ladder' - there are loads available.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 26-Feb-17 18:08:15

Doesn't do as an a frame though but perhaps they are available if you search

SorryNotSorry Sun 26-Feb-17 20:05:37

Not an expert but these seem to be quite adaptable www.amazon.co.uk/d/m3h/Abru-24044-10-Way-Multi-Purpose-Combination-Ladder/B002EL4M0M?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Hopefully an expert will weigh in

Qwebec Sun 26-Feb-17 21:16:03

I have one that folds like the one posted by Sorry but a different make. Like all multipurpose things it's not the best in each category but is works pretty well over all as long as you don't get sand in the mecanism by using a sand blaster

PigletJohn Sun 26-Feb-17 22:54:38

I think I have an Abru and a Blue Seal which seem OK.

IIRC there is a "British Ladder Makers Association" which they will probably mention on their website, and I'm pretty sure there are British Standards, so compliance will be a good clue.

Domestic ones are lighter and not as rigid as builders' ones. For ordinary ladders there are (at least) three grades, and DIYers usually get the cheapest one.

I see Abru have a Spare Parts page so I suppose you can buy replacement feet if they get lost. I think they sent me a safety clip FOC when I phoned.

PigletJohn Sun 26-Feb-17 23:15:50

Ah, it seems they call them "combination ladders"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now