Talk

Advanced search

Newbie to MN! Complicated housing problem :(

(6 Posts)
user1488046295 Sat 25-Feb-17 19:52:57

Hi everyone! New to mumsnet.

Got a complicated housing situation (apologies in advance for the long post!)

I have been living in my 2 bed council house with my little girl for over a year now, the area isnt great but there isnt many good areas to choose from around here and i dont want to move too far as all my family lives close and i dont have transport to be travelling back and forth to see them.

In the beginning I was so excited to be moving in to my first home but after about 3/4 months things started to go downhill.
(I live next door to flats) the bottom neighbours aren't so bad they have the odd party but do smoke drugs and sometimes the smell seeps through in to my house. The upstairs neighbour was another story though. Long story short; (One of the drivers from the neighbours taxi firm dragged my LO dad out of a taxi and beat him unconscious with a metal pole then locked my little girl in the taxi when I tried getting her out) the police were involved then a lady from the council decided to tell him i had been complaining about him just to make matters worse! Now the council have moved him and moved in a well known theif, druggy and woman beater. They've only been there a few days and already keeping my LO up on a night with their partying.

The council and mental health team who I'm under was sorting it out between them so I could move. This has been going on for about 6 months now and still no further forward. The council have now sent me a letter saying they have closed the case.

General picture of the area:
-Nasty dogs roaming, one ripped a little boy apart and the police had to come shoot the dog (Although my little girl liked watching the air ambulance that was practically parked in our back garden)
-kids ranging from 3 years up walking around swearing and trashing
-teenagers throwing rubbish in my garden and climbing over the fence then swearing at me if I ask them to get out (I then get nasty letters from the council about my garden been messy)
-Druggys and drunks walking around at all hours (I had a man stood outside my garden looking up at the window shouting hello the other night, obviously I didn't get much sleep after that. Freaked me out a little)
-had things pinched from my garden and someone attempt to break in to the house

I can't get a private rent as not a lot accept dss or pets. (2 quite large dogs & a rabbit who I'm not willing to get rid of as my dogs are the only things making me feel a tiny bit safe)

It's affecting my health so much, I'm not sleeping, barley eating and my bpd seems to be getting worse. Started with hallucinations again and medication isn't helping a great deal. I'm due to start back at college this year and I'm already stressing about leaving the house empty for a lot of hours through the day (daylight robberies are common around here) I don't want to be in the house yet I don't want to leave it. I don't know what to do anymore sad I don't want my little girl growing up around here and I don't want her seeing me like I am. I feel like I'm hitting rock bottom again.

Any advice would be great, thanks for reading!

MummyPigLovesAppleSauce Sat 25-Feb-17 20:11:49

Welcome to mumsnet!
You will get more replies if you pop this on Property/DIY. I've reported the post for you ( guessed you might not know how) and MNHQ will move it fit you. smile

user1488046295 Sat 25-Feb-17 20:17:24

Thank you, I've not a clue how to work it yet x

Vegansnake Sat 25-Feb-17 20:25:02

Wow. That's bad...could you have family stay with you? Or could you stay with them...do you want a nice life for yr little one? There are plenty of cheep but nice areas all over ,plenty of people have done a thread about that...I have to say I'd be doing everything I could to move...I bought a new house,and we have 80 council houses behinned us..now I only know that because I saw the plans of the area when we moved in....lived here 20 ish yrs not a single problem with any of the council houses...but the house opposite us bought same time as us ,constantly have police round...sometimes it's luck of the draw...could you do a swap to a new area?

Vegansnake Sat 25-Feb-17 20:26:14

Yr doctor and mental health team could put pressure on the council to move you up the list for a swap

LumpishAndIllogical Sun 26-Feb-17 20:47:06

Have you tried homeswapper.co.uk or house exchange? To swap your house? I really feel for you, I have lived in social housing before, with bad neighbours and felt very trapped and it was just after I had a baby and was about to start uni!
I eventually did a mutual exchange to a different area and got away. I no longer live in social housing but had loads of problems with my neighbors when I did and the housing association did nothing to help me, even when I had a mental health problems too.

Good luck xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now