Advanced search

Can we put an offer on a house before putting our house on Market?

(16 Posts)
perhapstomorrow Sat 25-Feb-17 17:47:47

Just been to view a house and DH & I are seriously thinking about putting in a offer. However, our horse isn't on the market yet. Can we still make an offer? We have a mortgage in principle we are just waiting for builders to finish off some work before getting the EA in.

Also are we mad putting in an offer on the first house we see? It is ideal for us but keep thinking that we need to view lots of houses......but then don't want to miss this one!! confused

perhapstomorrow Sat 25-Feb-17 17:48:39

Sorry not!!!grin

PurpleWithRed Sat 25-Feb-17 17:49:38

You can, but they might not accept it. I wouldn't accept an offer unless I knew what the state of the chain below me was likely to be.

insancerre Sat 25-Feb-17 17:50:25

You could make an offer but I doubt they would accept it without an offer on your house
Unless you could buy it without selling your house

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Sat 25-Feb-17 17:50:41

You can but they vendor may not accept the offer because if that. Our vendor wouldn't accept as we had t sold yet, so it def would have been a no if we weren't even on the market. It depends on how much of a hurry they're in I suppose.

RubyRedRuby Sat 25-Feb-17 17:50:54

You can offer but you won't be taken seriously until your house is under offer. You aren't in a position to proceed so you won't be taken as a serious buyer yet.

nancy75 Sat 25-Feb-17 17:51:10

You can put in an offer but the people that own the house could say no due to your house not being on the market. Do you know if they have found anywhere to move to? If they haven't they will be more likely to say yes

FreedomMummy Sat 25-Feb-17 17:51:34

You can but the house probably won't be taken off the market so others will be able to offer and if they're in a better position will get the house.

EssentialHummus Sat 25-Feb-17 17:52:30

I ended up buying the first house I saw - I knew it was right, and it was.

Wholly unethical, but what I'd do in your circumstances is make an offer on the basis that your house is on the market and, er, ring another agent on Monday to get your house on the market.

CommanderShepard Sat 25-Feb-17 18:29:32

Ours was on the market but hadn't sold when we made an offer. It was accepted subject to us accepting an offer on ours. I'd get yours on the market quicksmart, but the worst you can do is ask.

BG2015 Sat 25-Feb-17 18:40:50

I had loads of people view my house whose house wasn't even on the market. As a seller I was only interested in buyers who were in a position to move quickly. I even told my EA to stop sending people to view unless they could buy.

It depends on individual circumstances though.

perhapstomorrow Sat 25-Feb-17 19:39:10

Not looking hopeful then. sad
The only thing going for us is that the seller hasn't started to look yet as he wanted an offer on his house first. His house has also been on the market for a while. There are plans to build 5 houses on a plot backing onto the garden. We aren't bothered by it but can imagine it might be putting other buyers off.

khajiit13 Sat 25-Feb-17 20:33:03

As a seller I wouldn't be mpressed. Worth a shot though.

mamaslatts Sat 25-Feb-17 20:47:27

The other thing you can do is register your interest with the estate agent and ask them to keep you up to date with progress (e.g. if someone else makes an offer) I would firstly get your place on the market immediately - this can take a bit of time to organise photos etc. Also if your EA has people who are looking at similar properties they can show yours before photos are done if you want to wait til work is finished. (An EA showed us a house prior to being on market and we really like it). I would then book a second viewing to make sure it really is what you want, as you might change your mind also.
Its not a bad idea to buy the first house you see but I think its a good idea ot view others so you can get a sense of what you can get for your money, it might also demonstrate the first house really is your dream home!

Honey1975 Sat 25-Feb-17 20:48:18

We have recently had an offer accepted before getting an offer on ours.

happyfam4 Sat 25-Feb-17 21:09:48

Definitely worth putting a offer in. We all have to start somewhere!

It's taken us 6 month to find a house that we like(ish)

Ps we did accept an offer 20k lower than our asking so just bear that in mind when budgeting

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: