Talk

Advanced search

Howdens Lamona appliances - any good?

(26 Posts)
BG2015 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:04:33

Just had a quote from Howdens for my kitchen. He has quoted for Lamona appliances which are really reasonable and come with a 2 year guarantee.

But are they any good?

user1469117700 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:30:01

they are below lower end in quality

SquedgieBeckenheim Fri 24-Feb-17 19:32:58

When we had a howdens kitchen installed we bought our appliances separately. I've not heard good things about lamona, but have no personal experience of them.

Howlongtilldinner Fri 24-Feb-17 19:35:13

I have a Lamona appliances..double oven/hob/integrated fridge and freezer/dishwasher. The kitchen was fitted 7 years ago and they're all still working fine. However, I do wish I'd splashed the cash on a posh oven..I miss my Neff..

BG2015 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:38:48

They are ridiculously cheap which is why I'm asking? But if I decide to buy my own I'll have to seriously re-think my kitchen and budget.

If I went for Zanussi they would cost me approx £2500 but with Lamona it would cost me about £400. Seems to good to be true.

Mickeysgloves Fri 24-Feb-17 19:39:19

Yes, I have heard bad things about Lamona. Also, if you do decide to get branded appliances, I would shop around, we found Howden's prices really expensive - from memory we saved about £50 by getting our Bosch oven from John Lewis!

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Fri 24-Feb-17 19:39:28

We have Lamona appliances in the house we currently rent. They're not great. The gas hob can't be turned down to a v low flame to a gentle simmer. If anything touches the back up of the fridge, it becomes frozen. The dishwasher only cleans stuff without leaving a horrid residue if you use expensive dishwasher tablets.

We're considering fitting a Howdens kitchen in the house we're about to purchase and will be looking to install other brand appliances if we do.

silverfingersandtoes Fri 24-Feb-17 19:43:14

I have a Howden's kitchen, complete with Lamona microwave. Four years on and it's been used pretty much daily, is immaculate, and no probs whatever. I like it.

Rhayader Fri 24-Feb-17 19:45:48

Our rented flat has a complete howdens kitchen with lamona oven and hob. The over has hot spots and is impossible to bake in (and I am really good at baking).

The kitchen is really falling to bits - my landlord is changing it completely (weirdly with howdens again) but its only 8-9 years old, all of the cabinets are flaking away or shelves have fallen down etc. Ive actually had 3 lamona ovens in the last 1.5 years because they have always broken within warranty.

Howlongtilldinner Fri 24-Feb-17 19:48:42

I was very dubious about buying these products, if money was no object I would've bought Neff/Miele/Bosch etc, but it was so I got the cheap stuff. As I say, it's still going after 7 years even using cheap dishwasher tabs..I think I just got luckygrin

All this boasting..you know what's going to happen now..

ElsieMc Fri 24-Feb-17 19:50:10

I have a Howdens kitchen which is surprisingly good quality - the painted oak which I have had for 4 1/2 years and looks as good as new. I was warned about the Lamona appliances and went for Rangemaster instead. I got the rangemaster oven and the fitted fridge and freezer as I wanted a neat run of units. The oven looks really nice, but to be honest at the price it was I am a bit disappointed.

I do have the Lamona sink unit and tap. Its stainless steel and has scratched easily, but then again stainless steel does that doesn't it. The tap is lovely and looks like new at an absolute fraction of the cost of other stores.

I think there are reviews online which you should check out.

Howlongtilldinner Fri 24-Feb-17 19:51:15

rhayader I just read your post..I really did get lucky!

I best start savinghmm

Rhayader Fri 24-Feb-17 20:20:00

Pics of cupboards!

dotdotdotmustdash Fri 24-Feb-17 20:20:35

OP, since Howens don't have an actual price list for customers they can massage the figures on the quote to make it look like the appliances are really cheap. I had dealings recently with Howdens and I asked them to take the appliances off the quote and also told them that I could source very similar units from another supplier (DIY kitchens). I very quickly got an email telling me that they would beat that quote if I sent it into them. I have bought my appliances and units elsewhere for a figure I was happy with.

Howlongtilldinner Fri 24-Feb-17 20:40:02

My goodness..they must be the cheapest of the cheap! I have the 'high gloss' range and they are still as good as the day they were fitted..

Howlongtilldinner Fri 24-Feb-17 20:44:49

dotdot is correct. My brother fitted my kitchen and he's a tradesman, so bought the stuff trade, he knew the prices. The appliances are cheap, very cheap. Although they have served me well, I wouldn't buy them again.

Rhayader Fri 24-Feb-17 20:45:49

Wouldn't put it passed my landlord grin At least he is replacing it though!

beatricequimby Fri 24-Feb-17 20:46:16

Ours were awful. Washing machine and dishwasher both only lasted a couple of years. Definitely a false economy.

MsJolly Fri 24-Feb-17 20:47:53

howdens are rubbish and a bitch to fit properly

MsJolly Fri 24-Feb-17 20:49:04

Ikea are much better and wider range of choice of cupboards-plus 7yr guarantees on appliances

BG2015 Fri 24-Feb-17 20:51:49

£77 for a double oven compared to £425 from AO just doesn't sit right with me. It's so cheap it's weird.

We've got an appointment with Wickes tomorrow to see what they can come up with. They're offering 15% off branded appliances. 50% off kitchens.

I don't know what my builder is going to quote me yet as he's coming out next week. He has an account with Howdens.

It's a minefield but after reading people's views on here, and on MSE, Lamona are a no go!

BG2015 Fri 24-Feb-17 20:54:20

I do like one IKEA kitchen but we don't have an IKEA close enough to be practical. It's a 2 hour drive away.

My brother and parents have been happy with their Howdens kitchens.

everdene Fri 24-Feb-17 21:52:29

I had a Howdens kitchen put in last year and I am still absolutely delighted with it.

The fitter was an in law and he said basically for the price, they are as good as any other - you have to spend considerably more to get a significantly better appliance quality.

I got the high gloss cupboards and they look really good.

BG2015 Sat 25-Feb-17 18:51:22

Howdens kitchen with Lamona appliances £8545

Wickes kitchen with Zanussi appliances £6548 - heavily discounted and they will hold this price for 2 weeks. Wickes have a fantastic corner larder which fits perfectly in our kitchen.

Howdens is just a pull out larder.

Similar layout for both. Supply only. My builder is coming next week to quote for fitting.

PigletJohn Sun 26-Feb-17 22:28:28

Rhayader

looking at your pics, I see you have a foil-wrap door. This is (sorry) a cheap way of making them, where a wallpaper-like skin of stiff plastic film is pressed onto an MDF panel. They usually peel off quickest near kettles, toasters and cookers due to the heat, but I have actually seen them start to peel on display kitchens. Yours looks as if it has got wet.

Foil-wrap is not something I'd ever recommend.

the most durable, I think, are the ones with a hard laminate applied. This is the same material as used on worktops, though it may be thinner. It is not really flexible so is only seen on flat or "slab" doors with square edges. It can be done with a fake woodgrain. It can be high gloss or matt. It's not a paint or lacquer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now