Talk

Advanced search

Sofa help!

(22 Posts)
littlemissM92 Fri 24-Feb-17 11:49:38

Hi we are due to move soon and would like to get a new sofa regardless but the new lounge is nice and spacious but long so not the option to have sofas facing each other if that makes sense and tv will be wall mounted in middle of fireplace wall. Do I go for 2 2 seatera in each corner of long wall or a corner sofa but then the other corner of room will look empty ? At the mo they had 2 3 seatera but it just looked wrong ?? Or a 3 seater and a cuddle chair ? Any ideas or links would be helpful thanks

everythingshunkdory Fri 24-Feb-17 12:14:45

Can you post a photo (from rightmove?)

Jellybean85 Fri 24-Feb-17 12:15:37

Post a photo or the floor plan smile

namechangedtoday15 Fri 24-Feb-17 12:42:02

I suppose it depends how you want the lounge to be used. We have just had an extension and one area of it is a lounge / seating area. H wanted a corner sofa, I wanted 2 sofas facing each other. Its the one thing in the whole extension that he had an opinion on, saying it was for informal hanging out / family movie watching and so a corner sofa we could all lounge on was ideal. He got his way and grudgingly I have to say it really works. You just had to pick carefully so its not one that only 2 of you can sit on. In the other corner, we have a lovely armchair (like a fireside chair) but not too big.

If the space is going to be slightly more formal, then 2 x 2 seaters will be better and they're more versatile if you want to move the furniture around.

littlemissM92 Fri 24-Feb-17 13:03:27

Any good ? It is bugger than it looks the room is 16.11 by 11.5 just not sure what to go for as the tv will be wall mounted I can't really go 2 2 seaters facing eachother x

wishcarry Fri 24-Feb-17 13:11:26

Corner sofa by the outside wall/window (the side the picture was taken from)
And a nice sideboard or something by the doorway?

wishcarry Fri 24-Feb-17 13:12:05

Or desk.

Chasingsquirrels Fri 24-Feb-17 13:13:53

My lounge is 17 x 11, with a large patio door taking up most of one short wall and double doors taking up the middle of the other short wall, plus double doors towards the corner of one of the long walls.

I've got 2 x 3 seater sofa facing each other on the long walls and a chair in front of the patio doors, with a coffee table in middle. The TV is on a unit in the corner.
It's a bit messy at the moment but I'll post a picture.

Bluntness100 Fri 24-Feb-17 13:16:01

I'd do facing each other to with that room...

littlemissM92 Fri 24-Feb-17 13:23:07

Chasing squirrels a pic would be great pls

MissMillament Fri 24-Feb-17 13:33:25

I would agree the way they have it looks hideous and really emphasises the length of the room which you don't want to do. The problem with putting two sofas opposite each other is neither is really optimum if what the room is really for is TV viewing.
We have a similar set up at one end of our kitchen (not quite as long though. We have a corner sofa with a large matching footstool which doubles as a coffee table. It is one ink{http://www.oakfurnitureland.co.uk/furniture/morgan-modular-group-3-in-santos-silver-with-green-and-grey-scatters/st-28093.html\www.oakfurnitureland.co.uk/furniture/morgan-modular-group-3-in-santos-silver-with-green-and-grey-scatters/st-28093.htm]]l} with footstool ink{http://www.oakfurnitureland.co.uk/furniture/morgan-footstool-in-santos-silver/st-28085.html\www.oakfurnitureland.co.uk/furniture/morgan-footstool-in-santos-silver/st-28085.htm]]l} and we find it really works to fill the space. The open end is near the french doors into the garden. In your case I would look at zoning that end of the room for something else - maybe a desk/workstation depending on what else you might want to use the room for. By creating separate zones you are dealing with that railway carriage issue that is always going to arise with a long room.

MissMillament Fri 24-Feb-17 13:36:12

Sorry, massive link fails there

sofa

footstool

littlemissM92 Fri 24-Feb-17 13:45:10

Thank you for the links really nice sofa I'm thinking a medium size corner sofa under window wall and abit along the back then a cuddle chair in other corner big coffee table in middle to try and centralise the room a little and maybe a nice lamp inbetween. We won't be using the room for anything other than lounging and yes I am most Defo a tv watcher ! We have other rooms to use for office etc so it's just going to be a lounge xx

MissMillament Fri 24-Feb-17 13:51:06

Sounds like a good way of breaking it up. Check the sightlines from your proposed furniture placement to the TV and that there is enough sitting space for everyone - we are family of five so went for a massive sofa that everyone can fit on at once. Also with the lamp where the glare will be relative to the screen. We have an ovehead light and two wall lights but we need to have the overhead off when we watch tv as it directly reflects on the screen.

Jellybean85 Fri 24-Feb-17 13:54:27

Agree with corner sofa under window and nice cuddle seat or nice armchair by that door. Get a gorgeous sideboard under the tv for a focal point.

Something like the chair in the pic, without the cat hehe

Chasingsquirrels Fri 24-Feb-17 15:09:34

From the patio door corner

Chasingsquirrels Fri 24-Feb-17 15:11:16

From the double doors to the hall

Chasingsquirrels Fri 24-Feb-17 15:12:57

From the double doors on the short wall - a but dark as towards the patio door.

It's still a bit messy, but DH is unwell hence the pile of pillows & duvets etc on the sofa.

Chasingsquirrels Fri 24-Feb-17 15:18:08

In terms of TV watching;
The sofa along the wall from the TV is fine for 1 person on the far seat, lying on the sofa towards the TV or sitting bit angled a bit towards the TV. The near seat isn't a TV watching seat!
The other sofa is fine as both seats are more diagonal towards the TV.
The chair is fine position wize but you sometimes get a bit of glare.

There are 4 of us - DH & I cuddle up on the sofa facing TV, ds1 lounges on the other sofa and ds2 either sits on the chair or squeezes in with me.

littlemissM92 Fri 24-Feb-17 15:52:10

Thanks that's really helpful and jellybean85 we have a black kitty that likes to sprawl out just like that grin

MiaowTheCat Fri 24-Feb-17 16:09:04

We have a corner sofa, and then a recliner armchair on the other side. Recliner armchair is the best TV watching perch in the house, has my crafting spotlight next to it and all my crafting junk and is MY seat, punishable by me being really pissed off if I find anyone else's arse in it.

I like this seating arrangement (and that's what matters really).

JoJoSM2 Fri 24-Feb-17 17:00:38

I'd do a sofa opposite the tv and 2 armchairs on either side of the tv - that should define he area nicely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now