Talk

Advanced search

Bathrooms! Bathrooms! Bathrooms!

(8 Posts)
scortja Thu 23-Feb-17 10:58:43

Please tell me your bathroom renovations stories!

No story too slight or too depressing!

We are moving in a few weeks and the bathroom in the new house needs doing - I'm pretty sure we don't have enough money to do it "well". I think we will need a new bath and a new shower thing, and it will need retiling..
One site seemed to think I'd get away with paying about £2000 but everything else is telling me it will be at least £5000 and one company I looked into said that their average was £15 000..

dilapidated Thu 23-Feb-17 11:05:30

I'm just having my bathroom installed as we speak.

The suite of sink, toilet, bath and taps and shower fittings is all by Burlington and comes in at £1500 inc vat.
Installation is £2000 inc vat which covers removal and tiling.
Tiles I bought from tons of tiles and came in at £500.
We had a bit of plastering done too which was around £100-200.

So overall just over £4000 all in

dilapidated Thu 23-Feb-17 11:06:25

Ps - tiles were Laura Ashley floor tiles and crackle glazed fired earth wall tiles so wasn't scrimping too much

LizzieMacQueen Thu 23-Feb-17 11:08:55

The most expensive part for me was the tiling - not the actual tiles (though they were quite dear) but the labour involved. I think we paid £45/sq m - can't remember if that included VAT but I think not. It was £££.

Astro55 Thu 23-Feb-17 11:09:15

You. But but a basic suite for £300 tiles a bit more

I think you'd pay less if you had the time to employ individuals rather than a refit company

Plumbers can get VAT discount

scortja Thu 23-Feb-17 11:09:38

Oooh! That's pretty good - I had mentally written off Fired Earth as being way too expensive..
Is everything being done by one company? is this how it works?

Imissmyboy Thu 23-Feb-17 11:11:02

Just done two bathrooms. Small upstairs, new suite, new electric shower over bath, plain white tiles round bath only. Downstairs, new toilet and basin, new shower cubicle, tiling in shower cubicle only.
Went for mid range suites as we may move an a couple of years, plain white tiles. Both done for less than £5000.00

dilapidated Thu 23-Feb-17 11:16:04

Its mostly been done by one company who supplied the suite and the installer. The installer arranged the tiler.

We arranged the plasterer and ordered the tiles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now