Talk

Advanced search

Not using estate agents?

(9 Posts)
houseforsalenow Thu 23-Feb-17 09:54:32

House has been on market for some time, not many viewings and no offers. We're thinking of trying to sell ourselves without estate agents. Can anyone tell me the process please and what we need to do if we get an offer? Thanks

FormerlyFrikadela01 Thu 23-Feb-17 11:00:17

No idea about selling without an agent but no viewings and offers suggests it's priced wrong and selling independently won't help this.

scortja Thu 23-Feb-17 11:03:03

What about online estate agents?

We just sold ours with emoov and they have been really good especially the bit in between accepting an offer and exchange of contracts.. They will sort out photos and guide on price and then you get to do the showing around (although I think you can pay for that if you don't fancy it)..

unfortunateevents Thu 23-Feb-17 11:07:08

Presumably you are using agents currently - what have they said about lack of viewings? What has feedback been from the ones which have happened?

houseforsalenow Thu 23-Feb-17 11:54:01

Probably right about the price which has been dropped couple of times. Just find that estate agents sell us a big promise and once you're on the books they disappear. From our experience v poor communication. Feedback has been that house is too big for them, too much to maintain but surely people know this before they view.

Frillyhorseyknickers Thu 23-Feb-17 12:02:36

Well your estate agent will market the property, be able to advise on surveys, work with your solicitors through the exchange and completion. Your problems with selling without an estate agent are:

1) Marketing. You cannot advertise on sites such as rightmove unless you are an agent of developer. Agents get better deal on local advertising, and they have the ability to market with appropriate IT design. Agents have a larger network than you do of prospective buyers. Don't just choose the cheapest EA unless there is something fundamentally off putting about your property.

2) Negotiating - Estate Agents are trained in negotiating, it's actually quite difficult, especially when you factor in the purchaser is also considering all of the additional costs, of which you are likely to know exactly FA. You can't advise on surveys and the purchaser is likely to be put off by the unprofessional, back yard approach.

3) Paperwork - you basically put yourself at risk of being sued. You have no idea of the legalities of seller disclosures that your EA deals with, you're open to money laundering unless your solicitor deals with it for you.

Change your EA but don't try to sell yourself.

Justalittlebitblondie Thu 23-Feb-17 12:15:31

I've sold without an estate agent - all be it to friends of friends. Was really easy - agreed a price and then briefed lawyers - sale went through in four weeks... lawyers delt with money laundering etc as they deal with the funds transfer so that's shouldn't be an issue...

FormerlyFrikadela01 Thu 23-Feb-17 14:04:11

Ah didn't think about the right move thing. In that case I wouldn't even entertain the idea of selling independently, I'd bet the majority of people do their searching on right move so you'd be limiting your market significantly.

JoJoSM2 Thu 23-Feb-17 14:14:03

You need an online agent. We've used property eagle before. They took lovely photos, did a floor plan and advertised on all the major websites. They also arranged appointments for anyone who rang. We did the viewings ourselves. I think they did a great job although you obviously need to be comfortable doing the showing and selling bit yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now