Talk

Advanced search

Electrics on a survey

(7 Posts)
MummyPigLovesAppleSauce Wed 22-Feb-17 22:53:55

Hi all,
Just had our survey back and it recommends a full electrical check before exchange as it looks like the electrics/ fuse board may need replacing.
Stupid FTB question but how do I go about this? Do I need to pay an electrician to have a look or just get one to go round, look and then quote me for the job?
Bit worried it might be a deal breaker if it's a big job as we have small DC and part of the reason we love the house is because it's immaculate!

JoJoSM2 Wed 22-Feb-17 23:31:52

I'd just get an electrician for a quote. He's come for free, wouldn't produce a formal report but would give you an idea whether it needs doing and the costs involved. Replacing just the fuse box wouldn't be much of a problem. The awful bit is replacing wires as they are inside the walls.

wowfudge Thu 23-Feb-17 07:19:14

Surveys always state this! Classic surveyor backside covering. If you do have an electrician round remember that current regs are what has to be followed now for work undertaken - it doesn't mean that what is there is necessarily wrong, etc.

LIZS Thu 23-Feb-17 07:21:41

How old is the house? Agree it is a pretty standard comment. Dm had hers replaced and it wasn't a big or messy job.

MummyPigLovesAppleSauce Thu 23-Feb-17 07:22:10

Oh so you think we made get be worrying for nothing? The house is 1920s but has definitely been redone since then. I think the main problem was that the fuse box is under the stairs and he couldn't get a good look at it.
I'll arrange for an electrician that have a look just in case.

Thanks smile

MummyPigLovesAppleSauce Thu 23-Feb-17 07:22:48

Stupid auto correct!

Kiroro Thu 23-Feb-17 10:38:59

You only need the consumer unit updating if you are planing on adding something to the circuits. So you can place like with like but not add on a new socket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now