Talk

Advanced search

Understairs Storage

(12 Posts)
VacantExpression Wed 22-Feb-17 16:51:30

Has anyone actually used those companies I keep seeing advertised on fb- the deep drawers they put in ideal for shoes and bags- I need to declutter my hallway and I'm worried these are an expensive gimmicky PITA to actually use (although they might also be just the thing I'm looking for!)

Belleende Wed 22-Feb-17 17:20:43

We just had ours put in and it is fab. They were in and out in half a day so minimal disruption. They did leave all the rubbish behind, but they warn you they are going to do this. We now have a drawer for my shoes, one for his, a drawer for kiddie stuff, an admin drawer, the spare fridge freezer and two coat racks all neatly tucked away. The closing mechanisms can be a bit unreliable, as they are touch close, but that is a niggle more than an issue. One thing the internal partition is MDF and it does struggle to hold up the coat rack when its full so maybe ask for something more substantial.

VacantExpression Wed 22-Feb-17 18:04:56

Thank you. Which company did you use?

fabulousathome Wed 22-Feb-17 18:15:33

My friend had a quote and it was almost £3k. Normal size cupboard.

VacantExpression Wed 22-Feb-17 19:52:15

OMG I wasn't expecting that much ££

Whatdoiknow31 Wed 22-Feb-17 20:07:06

have no experience of those, sorry.

But if you have the space why not ask a carpenter to build something? Might be stronger?
We had our under stairs turned into one tall cupboard for Hoover/ ironing board etc with the other half shelves for everything else that hasn't got a home. Oak doors on the front to hide it all away. Was £600.

Belleende Wed 22-Feb-17 20:58:47

We used clever closet. 5 pull out drawers and the full height wardrobe bit with the coats and fridge in. It was about 1200 in the sale.

everythingshunkdory Wed 22-Feb-17 21:20:07

We already have a cupboard under the tallest bit of stairs, and got 3 drawers for the narrow part. Fits in all our shoes and work/school bags I love them. No mess at all, only took half a day. The only negative has been sometimes the push open catches don't close properly, and not sure how I'd fix that if it broke. I think we also paid about 600, but found the prices on the clever closest website somewhere

DesolateWaist Wed 22-Feb-17 23:44:20

DH built this in ours. The shelves are L shaped. It has a sticky out bit to hold the ironing board up.

1ris Thu 23-Feb-17 07:56:14

Our builder did this for us so we have a toilet, a large cupboard and then a small pull out drawer, utilising all the available space under the stairs. No expensive third party companies involved.

littlestar34 Thu 23-Feb-17 10:02:24

I have to say they look great but we have all our meters and fuse board under there so we can't do it.

Ferrisday Thu 23-Feb-17 10:10:26

Smart storage- it was about £600
Not as fantastic as I thought, needed filling and painting, but drawers are great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now