Advanced search

Yale (type) lock

(3 Posts)
StillRunningWithScissors Wed 22-Feb-17 12:13:08

I'd like to replace the existing Yale lock on our front door (we have another door enclosing our entry with a five point lock, so want to stick with the Yale lock on our "inside" front door).

The issue I have is that my eight year old currently cannot open the Yale lock we have, as the handle is very small, so you can only really pull with your fingers.

Are there any Yale type locks that have larger handles? It's partly for convenience, but also from a safety point of view. I want her to be able to open the door in case of fire.

Any help is fretfully appreciated.


PigletJohn Wed 22-Feb-17 14:25:03


some on here have larger levers.

An ordinary nightlatch is very weak and will not inconvenience a burglar much. The British Standard ones are stronger and more secure. Yale ones are a bit overpriced. ERA ones are sometimes sold by Wickes with own-brand packaging.

You can fit it at hip height if you want, where a child can reach it. They are often fitted at shoulder height when they supplement a mortice lock at hip height, and to be out of reach of small children.

40mm and 60mm options relate to the width from the centre of the keyhole to the edge of the door. Some old latches are 50mm and not often sold.

StillRunningWithScissors Wed 22-Feb-17 15:44:50

Thanks PigletJohn!

We have another door between this one and outside (with a five lever locking system), so not too worried about this lock. Will probably go with one of the BS ones though.

Much appreciated.


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: