Talk

Advanced search

To have builder install burglar alarm system in new build house?

(15 Posts)
Bubspub Tue 21-Feb-17 21:03:44

Could I ask your opinions on the value of having a burglar alarm system wired into a new build house we are buying? DH and I have no clue but I thought it sounds like a sensible thing to do. It's a nice detached house in a lovely area. Surely people have alarms in new builds? DH thinks I'm being frivolous. But if we don't get it now while they are wiring the electrics it can cost more later. It's £500 now. Surely it's sensible? I must say though we have one in our current house that we've never used. But I think we should do and it may help me and DS feel safer if we're on our own. Am I being frivolous?

ImtheSantaAnaWinds Tue 21-Feb-17 21:07:32

We paid much more than that to have ours done. I would definitely have it done by the builder.

HelenaGWells Tue 21-Feb-17 21:08:29

If you want it done now is the best time as it will be cheaper and they will be able to hide all the wires etc better.

Bubspub Tue 21-Feb-17 21:11:43

Yes that's what I thought. Thanks for your replies. Apparently if it's done in future it would have to be done wirelessly. I think we'll just bite the bullet and go for it. I have no clue about getting alarm systems linked up to security companies, I think I need to do some research. This is going to be our 'forever home' so I want to have everything done properly and feel safe and secure!

80sMum Tue 21-Feb-17 21:17:30

Sounds like a good idea.

How about having some wired-in smoke detectors as well? Again, much cheaper if done during the building stage rather than retrospectively.

Bubspub Tue 21-Feb-17 21:21:40

Yes I think the smoke alarms come as standard. At least I hope they do! I think the builder has to install one on each floor. We've just been so rushed I haven't properly checked everything. If smoke alarms don't come as standard we'll certainly be getting them on each floor.

IndianaMoleWoman Tue 21-Feb-17 21:23:36

Definitely get this done. New build estates are frequently targeted in the first couple of years by burglars, precisely because they are "nice houses in lovely areas" - they know they'll be stuff worth nicking! You do not want to be the one house on your street without an alarm - it's like saying "pick me!" to the burglars. We bought off-plan and two neighbours with no alarm were robbed in the first six months. After that quite a few installed CCTV (we haven't but our house is covered by next door's cameras). It's a shame but it's a bit like an arms race with your neighbours to become the least desirable to thieves.

Bubspub Tue 21-Feb-17 21:30:58

Thank you Indiana, I'm glad you've said that, although obviously not glad for the poor people who've been targeted, it's terrible. We actually gave the builder the 'go ahead' yesterday evening but there was a chance to put a stop to it if we called the site manager directly tomorrow. But you and other posters have confirmed to me that we did the right thing. It must be so awful to be burgled, it happened to my friend's family and she was really quite traumatised about it.

purplefishy Tue 21-Feb-17 21:48:02

I live on a new build estate all detached homes in a nice area and to be honest most of the houses do have them. We do not, we didn't consider it at the time and they did not go through each extra as we would of been there all day.

If your going to get one you may as well from the start.

A lot of the people on our estate got them after and they are a very fancy set up that's linked to emergency services but you pay a monthly fee. We did enquire but it was quite a lot each month rather than a one off fee.

Bubspub Tue 21-Feb-17 21:52:20

Thanks purple. Yes I thought most new builds tend to have them, but obviously they're an extra and all the extras add up so I can understand people not having them too. We've really bought well above our budget so trying to keep costs down but I think it's worth £500 and sounds like others have paid more.

UncomfortableBadger Tue 21-Feb-17 21:57:53

In our newbuild we actually went for a camera based alarm system and it makes me much happier than an alarm only system.

Remember that if you're the first people to move into a road (as we were), it can be pretty unsettling.

We have a 3 storey house and if I'm home alone & hear a funny noise, l can immediately watch the front door or back door from my bed on the top floor, via an app on my phone. Direct link to the police also if I see something untoward.

Bubspub Tue 21-Feb-17 23:02:52

Can I be cheeky uncomfortablebadger and ask how much did that cost? But understand if you don't want to say, just maybe a rough idea? I know what you mean though about being among the first there. Half the road is built but the other half where we've bought is totally a construction site. It's very quiet and on the edge of a huge park, so could feel quite creepy late at night! I'm not really selling it am I, it's lovely!

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 22-Feb-17 08:37:15

Have you investigated the insurance situation. Having been forced to have an alarm in a previous house and having all the insurance limitations of an alarm ( not insured if alarm not on at night, only able to gave windows open in occupied rooms at night etc). When I moved to a new build I deliberately choose not to have an alarm.
I say this having had both a high value burglary and an intruder in the house at night. The value in being able to open windows at the front and back of the house on hot nights in the summer far, far outweighs the tiny risk of burglary and intruders.

ScrapThatThen Wed 22-Feb-17 08:42:43

Is it not easier these days to have a Smart/wi fi alarm so that elements can be added and updated? And cheaper.

UncomfortableBadger Wed 22-Feb-17 08:56:59

We did as a PP suggested & bought a 'smart' alarm system which runs from the wifi. It means that we can arrange the system exactly how we want it, set sensors so they're pet-friendly, position the cameras ourselves etc etc.

It also means that we can take the system with us when we move on smile

Depending on the size of the house, I'd have thought you could head down to Maplin & get a full system with change from £450. Always lots of discount codes floating around too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now