Talk

Advanced search

URGENT - boiler related

(9 Posts)
Heirhelp Tue 21-Feb-17 19:33:57

After months of DH says he is going to ring the boiler man for our intermittent hot water in the kitchen we now have no hot water! The water pressure is just on one so I am thinking it is a water pressure issue. I know you can add water but I don't know how to do it. We have a combi Baxi. Can anyone help?

grannycake Tue 21-Feb-17 19:38:01

Google repressurising your combo boiler and include the make and model of your boiler in the search. I had to do this the other week and I'm useless at anything like this but it was really easy. I was smug all week

wowfudge Tue 21-Feb-17 19:49:53

We had a Baxi boiler and it was a little black tap top right - find the manual online.

notabee Tue 21-Feb-17 19:51:48

Usually it's a tap on one of the pipes. You might need a flat head screwdriver to turn it. You also might need to bleed your radiators after as it's likely air would've got in if the pressure has dropped.

Pollyanna9 Tue 21-Feb-17 19:57:45

Yep and it's usually something simple like a really really small leak from a rad or something so you need to go round and check every single one and feel for leaks - it only takes a small drip drip to drop the pressure enough for the boiler to stop working - it's not the boiler that's actually failing, it's the lack of pressure (phew cos I've just had the trauma 3 days before Xmas of having to replace mine at a grand total of £1,900!! Still in therapy for it!)..

MongerTruffle Tue 21-Feb-17 20:06:51

The pressure is meant to be between 1 and 2 bar (or in the green zone if it's coloured). Usually under your boiler there is a filling loop which is about 15 cm in length (it will be shaped like a square arc) with two blue or black valves/taps. Turn them both until the pressure reaches about 1.5 bar. Turn them back off. (There are two taps/valves because regulations state that there must be a way of cutting it off from the mains water supply.)

If the pressure doesn't stay after you turn on your hot water/heating, you need to check every one of your radiators. If there's a leak, or it's cold at the top and hot at the bottom, you'll need to either bleed them or tighten the ends.

If there's a leak, you'll need a flat head screwdriver or a radiator key to tighten the bolt (usually on the top right hand side of the radiator).

If they're cold at the top and hot at the bottom, you'll need to bleed them. Use the radiator key or flat head screwdriver to undo the end slightly. Have a towel ready underneath. You should hear air coming out. Once water is flowing out, you need to quickly tighten the end again.

If the pressure on the boiler drops, you'll need to add more water to the boiler (see first paragraph).

Your boiler's manufacturer's website should have information relating to the specific location of the filling loop.

Heirhelp Tue 21-Feb-17 20:17:57

Thanks guys. DH came down stair from putting DD to bed and said you just turn this leaver. I missed my moment of glory. Switching it off and on again seemed to fix the issue but we are over due a service so will get that done ASAP.

ForestDad Tue 21-Feb-17 23:39:27

OP do you mean heating or hot water?
The advice above, gauges, re-pressurising etc are all to do with the heating system?
If there is not hot water from the tap that is a different issue.

Heirhelp Thu 23-Feb-17 15:35:27

I had to keep resetting the hot. We had to get a plumber out to fix the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now