Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to spend £3k on a shower and sink taps

(18 Posts)
TheGrumpySquirrel Tue 21-Feb-17 17:54:39

They are the only ones I like.. Dornbracht Tara in Matt black. The whole setup (mixer shower, controls, hand shower, rain shower head and wall concealed sink taps) will cost £3,300 inc VAT. Is that insane? Does anyone know of cheaper but nice Matt black shower and taps? It will be concealed in the wall except for shower head and controls.. v minimalist. Can afford it but kind of out of proportion with planned spend on entire bathroom project (5-7k total?).

parking2017 Tue 21-Feb-17 18:01:24

They are lovely taps!

Our company is just about to install Dornbracht Tara taps throughout a posh apartment development. The prices are eye watering but nothing really comes close.

Even the Perrin and Rowe alternatives dont come close.

I couldnt afford them myself, but if I could I would.

Cosmicglitterpug Tue 21-Feb-17 18:01:30

If you can afford it and you love it why not. I think now I'm older and have more disposable income that I should buy the nicest and best quality I can afford rather than a cheaper alternative. Think of the pleasure it will bring you.

RaisinsAndApple Tue 21-Feb-17 18:05:53

C.r.a.z.y money - but if you can afford and are sure you like nothing else then go for it.

measles64 Tue 21-Feb-17 18:11:16

The only thing I do not like about dark colours in the bathroom is the cleaning of them they do show the soap etc. whenever you use them. Otherwise enjoy them it is your money.

TheGrumpySquirrel Tue 21-Feb-17 18:46:15

Thanks guys now to convince DH grin

nomislotsirb Tue 21-Feb-17 19:44:59

How about www.lussostone.com/brassware-c3/showers-c23

BumWad Tue 21-Feb-17 19:50:14

If you can afford it then go for it! Otherwise once your bathroom is done you will be forever thinking 'what if!'

MongerTruffle Tue 21-Feb-17 20:08:52

This isn't AIBU. But YANBU anyway.

If you need to convince your DH, we spent £1k on a "towel heater" which is just a fancy radiator. We can't even use it in the summer without turning on the central heating

PigletJohn Tue 21-Feb-17 20:21:41

I haven't had black taps, but I wonder if limescale and watermarks will be a problem.

TheGrumpySquirrel Tue 21-Feb-17 21:22:07

Oh thanks Nomi that might be a cheaper alternative if it includes all the concealed bits too! I'll check it out

Bambooshoots14 Tue 21-Feb-17 22:43:43

Also check how you'd clean them. Cilit bang has taken the gold off our gold taps

Kiroro Wed 22-Feb-17 10:14:34

If you can afford them, go for it!

Needmoresleep Wed 22-Feb-17 10:55:27

Landlord here, and one who has put in three showers in the past year or so.

1. agree about limescale and cleaning. Black sounds like a nightmare.
2. I try to avoid concealed parts. They may look nicer and neater, but it is awful to have to re-tile simply because a 10p washer has gone. (and they do go!)
3. Parts for very fancy showers can be hard to find ten years down the line. So I tend to be boring and go for top of the range, well regarded manufacturers such as Aqualisa and Crosswater. An Aqualisa part failed recently under guarantee and they were good at sending someone out to replace it.
4. Make sure you have two shower heads, one rainshower and one handheld. You want to be able to shower without getting your hair wet.

I do though go for good showers, despite the expense, because a decent sized shower cubicle and a good shower, will sell a property to a prospective tenant, especially when aiming at professionals.

TheGrumpySquirrel Wed 22-Feb-17 10:57:51

Thanks needmoresleep that is a good point about the concealed parts! My thinking was there is less to actually clean then too. But I don't like polished chrome as I think it always looks dirty, you literally have to clean every day. Brass might be an alternative ?

JoJoSM2 Wed 22-Feb-17 11:17:45

I'd probably prioritise something else. For example, you could use large slabs of stone instead of tiles - much greater impact than very expensive taps. Or get some artwork for elsewhere in the house - much more impact for 3k than taps. Having said that, if you're really in love with them, then you might as well as you can afford them.

TheGrumpySquirrel Wed 22-Feb-17 11:34:14

Nomi suggested a cheaper option upthread which I'm seriously considering as it's £770-890 all in, thanks for that as I've been searching a long time!

PigletJohn Wed 22-Feb-17 11:36:01

There is nothing as durable or as easy to clean as chrome.

Like a stainless steel sink, the only reason people look down on it is that is ubiquitous.

Like people complaining that black car tyres are a boring colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now