Talk

Advanced search

Which new range - with ceramic hob

(15 Posts)
MrsMozart Sun 19-Feb-17 14:02:09

Current range is goodness knows how old - at least seventeen years I'd guess. When we had a cleaner she 'cleaned' the markings off, so we've learnt over the years what goes where, but the rest of it works fine.

Anyhoo, started to look what to replace it with because whilst it still works for sure, I'm tired of trying to clean the hob and the control panel along the front. It's all a grease magnet. OH, who does most of the cooking, would like a built-in 'normal' hob and oven. I want to keep the range style as I like it and it suits the kitchen. We've compromised! I've found there are ranges with ceramic hobs. Don't know which one to go for though. The Leisure ones have some good reviews, the Smeg not so good, the Rangemaster not so good, but old memories of Leisure aren't so good. Maybe they're improved since I last used one.

It would be nice if it was the same width as the current, so 110cm, but a slightly smaller one would be okay.

Any suggestions?

wowfudge Sun 19-Feb-17 14:49:38

We've just bought a Stoves Sterling 110cm range which has an induction hob. It was highly rated in Which? tests and not as expensive as many.

I cannot wait for it to be connected as I have spent years cooking and cleaning gas hobs and using single ovens with the grill inside them.

Bluntness100 Sun 19-Feb-17 14:51:36

I have the rangemaster with ceramic hob and love it, why do you think it's not so good? Ovens cook evenly and hob heats up super fast.

Bluntness100 Sun 19-Feb-17 14:53:31

Here it is.

namechangedtoday15 Sun 19-Feb-17 16:04:53

Have never had a range but I would see if you can get an induction hob rather than ceramic. We went from gas to ceramic (great) but now have induction and it is 10 times better than the ceramic (in terms of responsiveness and ease of cleaning).

MrsMozart Sun 19-Feb-17 17:24:04

Wowfudge - thank you. I'll go looksee at the Stoves.

Bluntness - good to read. It was something about the ovens not cooking evenly, but that sounds like it was a glitch and all is well now with them.

Namechangedtoday - that's interesting, thank you. I told OH. He is interested to know why it's better with induction? Do you have to use special pans?

namechangedtoday15 Sun 19-Feb-17 18:27:51

I thought we would have to get new pans but actually our (wedding present) John Lewis pans were compatible (magnetic). We just had to buy a new frying pan.

Why is it better? Firstly its faster - the heat is instaneous and heats the pans quicker. It is akin to gas in terms of turning up / turning down, whereas the ceramic took perhaps 20 seconds to adjust. It is an absolute dream to clean - as the hob is only actually hot where it is in contact with the pan, nothing seems to get burnt on around the edges etc. I did have to use Astonish and elbow grease to completely clean the ceramic hob, whereas honestly the induction is just wipe clean.

MrsMozart Sun 19-Feb-17 18:46:50

Namechangedtoday - thank you kindly. I'll tell him. I feel some further research coming on! The pans were a present to him a few years ago - the then entire range of Aga pans - so will have to check if they'd work on induction.

namechangedtoday15 Sun 19-Feb-17 20:37:04

You can just get a magnet and see if they're magnetic - if they are, you can use them on the induction home.

ggirl Sun 19-Feb-17 20:42:56

Yes agree with pp ..induction would be my choice.
Quick response and control of temperature. Have had a few demonstrations and recommendations from friends.

We are also looking at changing our range from Britannia to Rangemaster.

I haven't heard good reports about Stoves from a few in the business but all anecdotal ..there are bad reviews for all of the makes I think.

I'm going for a Rangemaster Elise induction .

wowfudge Mon 20-Feb-17 07:40:17

ggirl I have done a lot of research and it very much depends on the model with most manufacturers. The major criticism of the range we have bought is that the instruction manual is over long and complicated in all the reviews I've read.

ggirl Mon 20-Feb-17 09:34:23

wowfudge ..thats good , not much of a problem really.

I've heard they have things go wrong with them .

Mind you , my Britannia has been crap , had it for 13 yrs and have wanted to change it for years ..I've never left a review

Stokey Mon 20-Feb-17 10:49:29

I love my rangemaster but do need to adjust the oven a bit for recipes. I thought that was just cos it was gas - so it cooks the outside quicker than the inside. Don't all ovens have quirks that you get used to?

I think I would go for induction next though, having used MIL one. It's so easy to clean & has made me rethink my gas is best prejudices..

MrsMozart Mon 20-Feb-17 18:05:09

Makes for interesting, thank you smile

Looks like some research is on the cards!

supadupapupascupa Mon 20-Feb-17 18:07:26

love my rangemaster, no problems at all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now