Talk

Advanced search

Tanked basement

(7 Posts)
Rosegardensandgin Sat 18-Feb-17 21:14:25

Currently in the middle of buying a property
The property's basement is tanked. Having never lived in an old property before it's not something I'm familiar with so please forgive me if this question is daft
We will need a tv aerial putting into the basement when we move in, will this be possible with the tanking?
And really more importantly- what does this actually mean for us? Can you not drill holes in the walls? Will all external walls be tanked? If anyone has an idiots guide to help me I would be grateful. I'm searching through google and feel abit bewildered by it all.
Have paid for a full survey but the basement bit doesn't really answer my questions on the practicalities
Thanks in advance

Villagernumber9 Sun 19-Feb-17 01:29:19

To get a good reception for a TV, you would be better having the aerial on the roof and extend the wire down to the cellar.
As for drilling into a tanked wall, personal, I wouldn't.
I think you can get special rawl plugs that can help prevent damp coming through but, the tanking is there for a reason and if you break the seal, you risk damp.

Rosegardensandgin Sun 19-Feb-17 10:42:12

so when the actual socket has to be put in will that then compromise the tanking?
Thanks for taking the time to reply

Fantasticmissfoxy Sun 19-Feb-17 10:43:30

You would frame out the wall (if it's not already been done) so the socket would sit in the plasterboard / void rather than be 'cut in' to the outside tanked wall

Villagernumber9 Sun 19-Feb-17 11:37:21

You can run a cable down hidden in trunking and stick a plastic socket back box to the wall.
This would be the easiest and cheapest way to do it without breaking the tanking.

Rosegardensandgin Sun 19-Feb-17 13:34:27

Fantastic thank you everyone. I feel like an idiot really, as long as it's doable though that's great.

Villagernumber9 Sun 19-Feb-17 14:33:23

You're not an idiot. If you don't know and don't ask, then you're an idiot. 😀

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now