Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When would you expect to hear?

(27 Posts)
y0rkier0se Sat 18-Feb-17 09:30:10

We offered on a house on 14th Jan. It was accepted 16th Jan. Mortgage offer came through on 27th Jan. We instructed the solicitors the following Monday and are awaiting the searches - should be back Monday. However, we haven't heard anything from the estate agent about the situation of the vendors. When we viewed we were told they'd seen a house but weren't in a position to offer until they'd had an offer on theirs. Would you expect to hear from the EA or just the solicitors? Sorry for all the questions - first time buyers stressing lots! blush

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 21-Feb-17 19:42:40

Just ring them (EA) and ask what the vendors' situation is?

Also if they now say they still haven't found anywhere ask them whether the vendor is prepared to move into rented at all or will they expect to keep you hanging around?

I assume their solicitor has sent paperwork to your solicitor too?

y0rkier0se Tue 21-Feb-17 20:38:28

Thanks, I've tried to contact the EA repeatedly - goes to her PA who tells us she'll phone back.. never does! Our solicitors have got the searches back now but still awaiting contract package from vendors solicitors. The solicitors say until they receive paperwork from vendors solicitors they can't advise as to time frame for exchange and completion. angry

JoJoSM2 Tue 21-Feb-17 23:55:49

That's not looking good at all ;(

GU24Mum Wed 22-Feb-17 00:15:37

If your solicitors haven't had anything through from the seller's sols yet, I'm very surprised that the searches have been done. Your mortgage company will expect the searches to be (depending on the mortgage company) no less than 6 months' old at completion and possibly newer than that. Hope everything works out ok.

PigletJohn Wed 22-Feb-17 00:25:32

keep looking.

Spickle Wed 22-Feb-17 07:21:24

Very unusual for searches to be done before contract package received.

Very early days though. You say you instructed solicitors on Monday 30th January. This is only 3 weeks ago. In that three weeks, your seller must receive forms to fill in and return and pay for land registry documents from their solicitor. Their solicitor then puts together the draft contract pack and sends to your solicitor. Then your solicitor can start work on your file.

Far too early to be wanting timescales for exchange and completion. You are nowhere near ready.

wowfudge Wed 22-Feb-17 07:36:10

Go into the EA when you can and ask for a straight answer. You might want to consider ringing again and asking them just to let you know what's happening whether that's good or bad news. It's half term in a lot of places so it's possible the EA is on holiday.

y0rkier0se Wed 22-Feb-17 09:43:36

Thanks Spickle, the EA advised approx 6 weeks from putting the offer in so working to that time frame we'd be looking at now(ish). I didn't realise it was unusual to do searches before receiving the contract package but I didn't know that the contract package from the vendors solicitors hadn't arrived until now. I know from a mutual friend (although not one close enough to ask the vendors what's going on) that the vendors have been on holiday for a fortnight - could it be that they haven't filled the forms in because of that? Panicking about losing this house when we've done everything we were supposed to sad

y0rkier0se Wed 22-Feb-17 09:44:07

It's an online agent so can't visit their office unfortunately

wowfudge Wed 22-Feb-17 10:00:50

I turned our forms around in less than 24 hours when we were selling. Our vendors took about 3 weeks and then hadn't filled everything in. Are you sure searches have been applied for or have you just paid the money for them over to your solicitor? Your solicitor has had contact with the vendor's solicitor?

y0rkier0se Wed 22-Feb-17 10:06:49

I'm certain - the searches are back as of yesterday! I'm not sure if the solicitor has had contact with them, they just said they were still awaiting the contract package. I want to know if the vendors have bought the house they intended to - the EA said they were really wanting a quick sale which is why they went with our offer - we're first time buyers and had a mortgage in principle etc

Spickle Wed 22-Feb-17 10:27:24

EA says 6 weeks from offer because that's what he thinks is normal. EAs do not know - they don't see the legal documents and therefore have no knowledge of any potential issues. We would advise approx 6-8 weeks from receipt of draft contract package, but that is entirely an estimate, based on how quickly information is provided and all parties respond to requests (and no other problems). If you want facts, you need to speak to your solicitor.

If your seller has been on holiday, then it is probable that they haven't posted back the forms and therefore not possible for the draft contract pack to be assembled.

You would be expected to pay for searches up front, but without the title number of the property (provided in the contract pack), many solicitors would not be prepared to order searches in case they ordered searches from the wrong property.

PertuniaPerpetualMotion Wed 22-Feb-17 10:46:47

EA will say anything to try and secure a sale! 6 weeks is very tight if both parties need mortgages and there is a chain!

We had a chain of 3 and it took about 3/4 months from memory and that was fairly straightforward.

Are you able to politely contact the vendors? Push a letter through their door?

y0rkier0se Wed 22-Feb-17 14:06:30

That's reassuring thanks Spickle. I could contact the vendors but I don't know if it seems really weird/pushy blush I suggested it and DP said it would make us seem desperate. Which we kind of are! I love the house.

specialsubject Wed 22-Feb-17 16:22:28

Online agent - low fees = minimal effort. Start shouting on Twitter that x never returns phone calls.

y0rkier0se Wed 22-Feb-17 18:13:39

I intend to when everything's gone through but don't want to alienate anyone who can help us at the moment!

thebig4 Wed 22-Feb-17 18:20:15

at this stage, i'd expect to hear from estate agents. to me it looks like the seller hasn't found anywhere , i'd hold on for a few weeks. they might be struggling etc and dont want to jump into a house purchase they are not 100% ok with. round here, there is not a lot on the market and probably wont be until march when the weather brightens up and people are thinking about selling in spring.

even if your sellers did have an accepted offer on a house they like, what could you do if it had a massive upwards chain etc? still loads of hanging around.

have you seen anywhere else you'd like? how long can you wait?

thebig4 Wed 22-Feb-17 18:35:11

also, if your sellers house are using an on-line agent, sort of changes the dynamics a bit for me so i guess you could contact them directly.

y0rkier0se Wed 22-Feb-17 19:34:32

There's not much on the market round here either. We can wait - we're living with family at the moment, moved out of rented because our contract was up and we knew we were ready to buy - but obviously it's not ideal to be waiting months and months. Haven't seen anything else we like in our budget though sad

y0rkier0se Wed 22-Feb-17 19:35:57

I have sent this message to EA. Not holding out much hope of hearing from her though.

SquinkiesRule Wed 22-Feb-17 22:05:44

I'd call the EA and leave a message to say you are booking viewings of other houses as it seems to you that these sellers aren't serious and haven't instruted a solicitor or sent back any paperwork. See how fast the calls come back.

y0rkier0se Thu 23-Feb-17 11:52:45

Slight update - got through to head office of EA today who told me the EA has been on annual leave this week.. Why has her PA not bloody told me that then?! angry

Spickle Thu 23-Feb-17 13:24:56

Y0rkie0se, while it might be annoying to hear that the EA is on annual leave, it is not usual practice to phone every client to let them know (unless you're paying ££££, which you're not since you are the buyer) and tbh it's not like you're at a critical stage of the transaction. You are barely off the starting blocks. In any case, once the transaction is in the hands of the conveyancers, the EA is very much on the outside, the only advantage being that EAs are able to phone all parties up and down the chain to try and ascertain where everyone stands and keep the chain stable and intact. EA will not be party to the legal process though so their knowledge is limited.

At the moment the delay is with your vendor. You don't know if they've even instructed a solicitor (though I'm assuming they have), whether or not they've completed and returned the paperwork, whether or not they've found a house to buy, whether or not they are in a chain. While you may have done everything required at your end in a timely manner, you cannot know whether others will do the same.

y0rkier0se Thu 23-Feb-17 14:40:30

I've contacted the EAs head office today and turns out the EA has been on annual leave for three weeks. Their sales progression manager contacted the vendors today who have sent back their contract package so our solicitors are now in contact and they've offered which has been accepted on a house so are waiting for searches etc. We went with this house partly because the EA promised to walk us through every step and said she was contactable 24/7 so after not hearing for three weeks and our solicitors saying there was nothing else they could do until they'd received contract package we were concerned! Looking good now though smile least there's been progression.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now