Talk

Advanced search

Self adhesive floor tiles - laying advice please!

(12 Posts)
Graveyardkate Fri 17-Feb-17 20:31:08

I have bought some self adhesive vinyl floor tiles as a quick fix for the "smallest room". Does anyone have experience of using these and advise what I can lay them over? The floor in there is currently boarded with a smooth finish, sheet wooden floor (no cracks between planks) which was painted with floor paint but is now rather scratched - can I just stick the tiles on to this, providing I clean it very throughly first?

Graveyardkate Sat 18-Feb-17 15:59:01

Anyone?

Duskybluebell Sat 18-Feb-17 17:25:13

I put down similar years ago and I put thin ply down first, then the tiles onto the ply. A friends father using more expensive self adhesive tiles put down thick plywood first. To be fair neither if us had 'good' floorboards underneath though, so it might be OK (but be more awkward to remove in the future

NorfolkEnchance Sat 18-Feb-17 21:26:12

I put the upstairs bathroom ones directly onto the hideous lino that was already there. Downstairs, I removed the lino (first attempt at laying the tiles went wonky and they were impossible to remove) and put them directly onto the sheet wood. Both worked fine although not quite as sticky downstairs.
I made templates of the toilet etc with paper to make cutting the tiles easier.

Graveyardkate Sat 18-Feb-17 22:10:52

And would you say they've been a reasonable success? I just want to brighten and tidy up the room without the hassle and expense of redoing the entire bathroom suite etc.

PickAChew Sat 18-Feb-17 22:20:06

YY to thin ply.

We've got some to put down in our kitchen (repair after a burst underground pipe wrecked all the ceramic tiles) and we've put some self levelling compund down in preparation. The important thing for any type of vinyl, whether sheet or tiles, is a flat, smooth, stable surface to put it down on because they mould to any flaws and those bits are vulnerable to wear.

Of course, if you haven't bought the tiles yet, then sheet vinyl is worth considering, if you can find some which isn't straight out of the 90s.

IME they're rock solid, but scratch, but they shouldn't get too much wear in the bog. In our case, we fully expect whoever buys our house to rip the whole kitchen out, because it does need replacing, but we can't deal with the disruption ourselves.

NorfolkEnchance Wed 08-Mar-17 15:11:58

Total success. They look great! Am rather proud of myself haha

Kiroro Wed 08-Mar-17 15:20:21

NorfolkEnchance looks great, you shoudl be prod of doing that yourself!

Fontella Wed 08-Mar-17 15:26:02

Great Job NorfolkEnchanche

DevelopingDetritus Wed 08-Mar-17 15:45:44

They look great. Nice neat sealant too.

NorfolkEnchance Wed 08-Mar-17 19:44:24

Thanks! (Can't take credit for the neat sealant, I left the old sealant in place! Downstairs bathroom has a more... freehand style to it)

DevelopingDetritus Wed 08-Mar-17 20:05:56

Even better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now